Thursday, May 28, 2020

My All Time Fielding Team: The Outfield

It's time for the outfield.

Left field is Roy White.

There are a lot of good left fielders. Yaz for one. Don Buford. Cleon Jones. Ichiro. You usually stuck your worst fielder in left. But I say Roy White play a lot of games. I went to every Yankee home game in 1967 and 1968. Roy White went out and got it. He would dive into the stands and pull home runs away from the opposition. He wasn't as big a name as some of these other guys but he was the best I ever saw.

In center field I have to go with Paul Blair.


Paul Blair was the best centerfielder I ever saw. Smooth as silk he never missed a play. I saw Mickey and Willie Mays but it was at the tail end of their careers. Mickey was hurt and Willie got old. Ken Berry was a damn good fielder as was Amos Otis and Ken Griffey Jr. But nobody was better than Paul Blair.

His best play? When he ran out to replace Reggie Jackson in the middle of the game and Reggie went to the bench and tried to kill Billy Martin. Now that was when baseball was real and not the faggot game it has become today.

Right field would be the one and only Roberto Clemente.


Most of America got to see what a great fielder he was in that famous World Series. But I knew it because I saw him kill the Mets all the time. My Dad was a big Mets fan so he would have the Mets on the TV while I was listening to the Yankees on the transistor radio. I saw Roberto murder them time and again. I even met him once.

I went to this party in New York with a friend of mine and his Dad who was a big shot in this company and they had this company awards dinner. They had a couple of ball players there for a meet and greet. There was Tommie Agee and Bobby Murcer and Roberto Clemente and Manny Sanguillen. Roberto didn't talk much. But he had these very pointy shoes so I bet he got all of the cockroaches in the corners.

Honorable mention to Dewey Evans who was a close second the fuck.



1 comment:

ndspinelli said...

Amos Otis was a dog ass, would always pull up and never even touched a wall. Plus, he always had migraines when Nolan Ryan was pitching. Blair was great as was Garry Maddux of Phillies. Loved Roy White, even when I came to hate the Yankees in the 70's.