Thursday, May 7, 2020

WKRLEM TV Roseanne Scamardella in all her glory...plus Natalie Wood



Sixty brought up old memories when he mentioned Roseanne Roseannadanna.

You see the real Roseanne was the one and only Roseanne Scamardella and we actually have a connection. You see she was my next door neighbor on President Street in 1975. She was married to Assemblyman Mike Pesce at the time and was becoming a big deal on TV news. She was among the first Italian Americans who kept their ethnic sounding name and were being featured on TV at the time. Along with Jerry Rivers and John Johnson she was the face of diverisity on the old Eyewitness News

I don't have a lot of stories about her. Occasionally I took a delivery for her from the station and they moved away not too much later. Pesce went on to become a big deal judge after they divorced. In fact I think he was one of the most important judges in New York State as the administrative judge for Brooklyn and Staten Island. He just retired after getting tons of bribes.

The kicker to the story is one day this woman comes in to shop in the store. As we are talking she asks me if I know Judge Pesce. I said sure in a trivial way but I knew his wife better. She says but I am his wife. I said no I meant his first wife.

I never miss an opportunity to say the wrong thing.

Just like Roseanne Roseannadanna.

No comments: