Monday, July 1, 2019

Flap Monster Mash

This is Matthew Reinhart. You cannot tell by these tutorials but Reinhart makes the most amazing pop-up books ever. And I mean it. He learned by hooking up with Sabuda in New York then outpaced the master. Now his books are all outrageously complex. Here is his Amazon page, press "hardcover" button. You'll notice his books get more and more complex as they go. Sometimes they're so complex you worry about them folding back into a book, sometimes a little too complex so they don't work completely reliably as intended. After all, people in some other country are tasked to make them.

This would be a good idea as a page in a pop-up card for a child. I thought all the hinges for layers would be on top of each other so you can flip though more than three layers. Egyptian gods would be a good source for ideas on variations.



My brother wrote me an email after the last card that I sent him. He told me that he and his wife put all the cards that I sent to him and to her in a bag and took the cards with them to dinner with friends celebrating his birthday. At dinner they took out the cards and passed them around. He told me their friends were blown away. They couldn't believe someone whipped up all that crap. And that told me they are saving all these cards. And now they have two boys. I'll bet you ten dollars they're saving the cards sent to the boys too. 

Gimme your card. 

I'm saving it. 

Forever.

No comments: