Saturday, July 20, 2019

President Trump attacks Thomas Friedman

About his chin.


I laughed so hard I was choking.

The president of the United States speaks like a UFC fighter. Hitting low. Sounding adolescent. Trump called Friedman "The Chin" and I fell out laughing. 

I've never seen a president behave this low class, this hilariously. None have ever been this funny. I imagined myself with other people incapacitated with laughter, hearing my own laughter getting physically weaker, hearing myself literally dying from laughter.

And now that the hysteria passed it's no longer that funny.

Now it seems normal. Rather prosaic. 

Our president is prosaic. And hilarious. 

The man kills me.

Apparently Trump was speaking to somebody else on his cellphone when suddenly the opposite end put on Thomas Friedman. Their conversation went pleasantly. Then Friedman wrote a column contrary to his telephone manner. 

Everyone knows by now when you do that Trump will punch back devoid of any compunction. Absent any traditional presidential restraint. Trump's attitude is, 'why show manners to unmannered people?'

It's the opposite of Lincoln attaining manners from rural cabin beginning. Rather, with Trump it's more being born into manners and deigning to street-level. Sinking to street-level, if you prefer. That's the thing that's hilarious. Mannered people count on manners and rely on restraint of high-minded office, but Trump doesn't give it. Then simultaneously he and the queen of England have such a great time together. She probably finds him a breath of fresh air like the rest of us do. 

It's effortless, thoughtless, natural, rather childish. But so was the thing that Friedman did. That was extremely low class. Friedman actually speaks to the president of the United States and then trashes him in writing. And now he has to go around being self-conscious about his flabby chin. 

I feel another laughing fit coming on. 

My laptop shakes off my lap from my laughing again. 

I would never think of identifying a prominent physical feature and name the guy after it. My appellatives are more crude. Trump's are more innocent, but also more undeniably accurate. Impossible to dismiss. He's showing me how to improve crudeness. Oh crap, here comes another laughing fit. 

I want another four years of this and I'm going to be sad when he's gone. This is the most fun I've had since being born.

And all that is gravy on top of a very great deal of serious global straightening. He punches back. Not wildly. I've not ever seen this before him. I can see how this infuriates people. But so far, he's infuriating people who've infuriated me all along with impunity. It's childish but it's also needed and it's hilarious.

[I must test these tweets elsewhere because they double up. It's why you see them doubled so often.]

7 comments:

chickelit said...

Trump should have saved that moniker for George Conway. Might piss off Kellyanne though.

ampersand said...

He's like the Bad Breaker Upper on Seinfeld.

Another example of TDS. Over at Reason.com there's been nonstop bitching about plastic straw bans. Now that Trump's campaign sells plastic straws in protest of the bans they're bitching about that.

The Dude said...

Didn't The Donald work with Vinnie "The Chin" Gigante? I think I read that somewhere.

ampersand said...

Chick, he could have used Joan River's line. "He's got more Chins than a Chinese phone book."

ndspinelli said...

More Chins than the Shanghai phone book.

ndspinelli said...

Wait!! Amper beat me.

AllenS said...

I love Trump. He's the best thing that ever happened to this country.