Friday, July 19, 2019

Ladder to heaven

This was in August 2015 after two setbacks. Chinese artist Cai Guo-Qiang used a balloon to lift a structure of fireworks resembling a ladder. He said this is a tribute to his grandmother.



Netflix "Sky Ladder" the art of Cai Guo-Qiang has a lot of other interesting things, a large roomful of taxidermy wolves forming a chaotic arc from floor to ceiling with other wolves tumbling around and running around on the floor, other large firework displays depicting war scenes of parachutes and cloud displays with sparkling fireworks, criss-crossing displays of colorful sorties, vertical colorful smoke displays, large fields of smoke with shimmering light inside them. 
In the Song dynasty about 1,000 years ago,
Quanzhou City struggled to develop.
So they invited a feng shui master to investigate. 
He said, "The city on top of the mountain nearby
is taller and shaped like a fishing net, 
and your city is shaped like a fish. 
This is an ominous sign." 
So they built two pagodas, 
in order to break this metaphorical net.
This shows that the city really believes in feng shui
and in the unseen world.
I grew up in this environment
so even in the artworks I made from a young age,
I was exploring a connection to this unseen power. 

4 comments:

The Dude said...

As Penn and Teller pointed out, feng shui is bullsh!t. That is all.

ricpic said...

Everything Chinese is bullshit, pardon my French.


He dedicated it to his grandmother? That would make it a Bubbeladder.


Did I know I was in heaven
Sitting in my Bubbe's kitchen
Watching her shuffle back and forth
In her domain
Of complete assurance?
And then she would bring me a glass of tea
And a piece of spongecake
And turn her back on me
And go back to her endless kitchen rounds.
Did I know?
No.

The Dude said...

Great poem, ricpic.

I might have gone with "le merde du taureau" or even "connerie" but the latter sounds like a bad Scottish actor.

rhhardin said...

Fengshui tragedy in China
https://www.johnderbyshire.com/Opinions/RadioDerb/2014-04-05.html#06