Tuesday, July 23, 2019

White Castle sliders


I went to a White Castle in Englewood only once.

At that time, mumble-mumble-ifty years ago their little hamburgers began as a meatball. The meatball was smashed on the grill with a spatula to such thinness that it cooked in fifteen seconds. As sixteen-year-olds we could easily eat five.

The buns were steamed separately.

"Hey, do you want to go to Newcastle?"

     "I only have a couple of dollars."

"That's perfect."


Play video at X 1.5 speed. She talks too much and fusses around.


One time my sister said she has the best recipe for French onion soup.

"You start with two packages of Lipton's onion soup."

I listened patiently without interrupting or contradicting. She feeds her family very well and with religious dedication.

This cook disparages Lipton's Onion and dehydrated beef.

Then she uses dehydrated onions and dry beef bouillon cubes, and that's what Lipton's soup mix is along with a few added dry herbs.

She disparages peanut butter while discounting its effect due to the minimal amount.

The best hamburger patties I've made were actually two patties smashed flat with genuine butter inside them.

I've also added a bit of oatmeal or breadcrumbs to absorb and retain the fat as they cook so it doesn't all go spilling out into the pan.

The best hamburger buns that I've made were simple white bread with potato flakes added. I don't know why potato makes bread soft. It also makes great cinnamon buns.

Oh man. Now I'm in the mood for cinnamon buns. I have all the stuff to do it too. Pecans, raisins, confectioner's sugar.

4 comments:

ampersand said...

I've seen one recipe for sliders where they added beef liver. Sliders do have an unusual organ meat taste. Every now and then I get the crave but they're cheap enough and close enough to forgo any home cooking.

The best French onion soup I've had was made with broth from oxtails. But jeez, $6.99 and up for a lb.

Chip Ahoy said...

That's a great idea.

A long time ago I saw Julia Child make French onion soup. She started out with a tray of bones that she roasted in a pan to burning. The marrow poured out and burned onto the pan. Then all that crud was lifted off by deglazing.

Ever since I've looked for tiny black dots in the soup that isn't black pepper.

And now your idea of ox tails makes sense. I don't see many bones in the market anymore. They used to sell it for dogs. But they make excellent beef marrow soup.

It's an example of how peasants made the most out of the least.

ampersand said...

They still sell beef bones. The cheapest ones start at 2.99 @lb, marrow bones 4.99 and up. You can get a NY strip steak for that. Forget veal bones. I used to throw a cow foot in my beef stock, cheap as hell lots of collagen, now that's shot up in price. I suppose it's all the cooking shows that have effected the higher prices. That or foreign markets. When I asked a butcher about getting beef fat for rendering he said the Japanese are buying lots of it, for what I don't know.

AllenS said...

I love me some White Castle. When I was in Vietnam eating C-rations daily, I promised myself that if I lived and made it out of there, White Castle would be one of my first to do things.