Who among men hasn't fallen in love with a "Brandy" -- in real life or in silico? Who among women hasn't fallen for an itinerant seaman?
But here's the good part: The real life story of Brandy (You're A Fine Girl) as told by singer/songerwriter Elliot Lurie:
Highlights of the interview:
- Lurie looks much better without his girly locks and blouse.
- Brandy was named for a high school girlfriend named "Randy."
- Lurie is from Brooklyn, just like our beloved Trooper York; he talks about having to change his Brooklynese "r's" for the song.
- Lurie dispels the notion that he was inspired by the real life story of Mary Ellis, despite the remarkable coincidence.
- Barry Manilow did change the name of his song Brandy to Mandy. Manilow should have renamed it "Randy" -- NTTAWWT.