Saturday, May 4, 2019

You Say

This is an evangelical crossover song that was received very well at the Billboard Awards.





I knew that female ASL speakers would love this song because of its tempo and its emotion. Sure enough, there are already a million of them put up on YouTube. Possibly a dozen, counting really isn't my bag.

The ones that I watched are pure shit.

I got disgusted watching women simply emote with scant relationship to the song that motivated them to perform it.

See, the emotion gets them. It's pure emotion. And they're thinking in terms of a man. Like there's a man out there that that they're thinking about who evokes this emotion in them, and they f-e-e-l so completely they can show their feeling without bothering to match and to convey the tempo, the beat, the melody, the unique staccato presentation, or even a personal saving relationship with Jesus. 

Like Depeche Mode "Personal Jesus" they turn a human into Jesus who does the personal soul-saving, thus dispensing with Jesus. 

This is a heartfelt song about Jesus getting one through the wobbly portions of one's life. The singer says so. She says it is so even about feeling wobbly about performing the song. She goes to a private spot, silently reflects, and receives strength from the spirit of Jesus. 

Of all the truly crap interpretations that you can see here, if you're interested in seeing pure crap, this one video sticks out above the others (that I saw) for getting the meaning, performing to the meter, sticking to the lyrics expressed in English and conveying the actual feeling this song as it is meant. She looks to the sky when directly addressing "you." 

She changes:

“measure up” to “be enough” I was really hoping to see the sign for measure.

“can’t feel a thing” to “feel nothing”

“find my identity” to “find myself, am”  Sign for identity.  


1 comment:

The Dude said...

Hey, I got some of that at full speed - yay me!

Today, as I was signing to some randos two of my ASL classmates stopped by. We had a good ol' time, signing and carrying on and playing with the pencils on the Group W bench. One of the women is very hard of hearing and she depends on accurate signing to be understood. The other is like me and lucky to pick up the last letter of any finger spelled word - those skills just aren't showing up as of yet. But we keep after it, whatareyagonnado, eh?