Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Caladium bulbs as gifts

They make excellent gifts.

I knew that already by the people who live here. They responded more strongly than I anticipated. But they were all people who I've already spoken to, or people I haven't met but who I saw growing things on their balconies. People trying to grow things. Nobody around here is any good at it.

I did not know they'd be so enthusiastically received by strangers who haven't shown any indication at all of an interest in gardening. So in each case I began tentatively, "I have a present for you if you accept it." And "You can give them away if you like and I won't care."  But instead each person flipped out. Genuinely surprised that somebody cares.

I visualized all this first. Mentally practiced my approach. These are professional people doing their jobs. They're focused.

Their reactions all exceeded anything that I had imagined. That's not just a phrase, I actually imagined and they exceeded in actuality. Far exceeded. The first young woman was thrilled and she showed it. And so did the doctor. The other two women were well pleased but less effusive, a little closer but exceeding what I had seen in my mind.

Apparently, it's not done in a doctor's office. That's a place where the transactions go all one direction. Sick people come in, they're seen first by a nurse and then by a doctor, drugs are prescribed, insurance is billed, and that's it. Nobody comes in with plant bulbs.

I showed them photos on my phone so they can see what they grow into. They each asked extensively about planting. They each formulated plans for them. They each thanked me profusely.

What a trip.

Each bag contained bulbs for a largest size, and two bulbs each of three types of regular size.

Except for the doctor. Because he is king. And kings get more. Three of the largest and several each of the three regular size.

All of them are quite large, actually. Some are white, others pink, and others red. Everyone gets a variety.

It was a lot of fun. Much more fun than I expected. It's so much fun that I'm going to keep doing it year after year. And I still have quite a lot to go this year. I've only just started.

In each little brown paper lunch bag I wrote on an index card.

                    Caladiums
See YouTube video for planting instructions.
(Hint: you stick them into dirt)
Water and wait. Patience. Nothing
happens until nights are warm.

2 comments:

chickelit said...

I have the space and could try a few. Plus I need a bit more color in my shady spots. What are the ideal light requirements.

Three of my leopard lily seedlings survived infancy, are outdoor hardy, and are ready to plant (3 out 10 germinated -- the are the most difficult thing I've ever seen germinate). I'm not sure of the light requirements. I have a full range: full sun, sunny in the AM, sunny in the PM, and full shade with all shades in-between (pun intended).

Chip Ahoy said...

Mixed light and shade.

I noticed the white ones bend toward the direct light then get burned by the sun.

Other thick red types take full sun.

They're all over the board. The sites usually say which situations they thrive best, and what they can tolerate.

I noticed the same species displays differently depending on the amount of sun that they get.