Friday, May 24, 2019

In honor of Jerry Nadler



By way of encouragement.

I love this song. 

It tickles me that it was written by an orthodox Jew. 

Greenbaum says in interviews that real inspiration for the song was Western movies. He liked the way the bad guys wanted to die with their boots on. It wasn't so much Jesus that connected him, rather, the spirit in the sky. 

Whatever. Jesus, God, Spirit in the Sky, it all works. 

Greenbaum wanted to die with his boots on.

Boots, sneakers, hippie sandals, flip flops, whatever, it all works. He wanted to die walking around and still active. He's still alive. Born late November 1942, so that's what ... 58 + 19 = 77 check, 2019 - 1942 = 77.  I think he's 77. And still performing.

Some fifteen years ago I looked up Norman Greenbaum and found a site of his in which he posted a picture of his betta fish's bubble nest. He said he woke up and saw this in his betta's bowl. I cannot find it now so I reproduced what I saw back then. His was a child's goldfish bowl. 


Psych!

What a fake out. 

But this shows where he comes from.

The sites that I read are mostly Christian in nature. Their comments run along the lines of forgiveness and leaving retribution to God and praying for the soul of the individual. 

I have that same Christian training. And I've also have quite a lot of friends, very good people die young who never meant harm to anyone. Good creative constructive loving fine people. Although I admit their wit could stab like a shiv. Good people who suffered terribly and then died with only one third or one fourth their life lived. So my attitude toward vicious troublesome people who support the deaths in great numbers of innocents is go on, suffer harshly already and die. You will not be missed.

Maybe Norman Greenbaum with his orthodox Jewish training is a better Christian than me.

Incidentally, I watched 3 versions of this song translated to ASL but I don't care for any of them. 

1 comment:

edutcher said...

Not so much the bad guys as cowboys, the cavalry, anybody who loved their work and the wide open spaces.