Friday, May 31, 2019

On a Strange and Wonderful Journey



Leon Redbone died yesterday, May 30.  I first heard him sing late one night on a Johnny Carson show in the late 80's, and was so intrigued I bought a cassette which I sang along with in the kitchen while cooking and taking care of family.  In an odd way, he touched my heart and life with his quirkiness and enjoyment of performance and music.   If we never meet again this side of heaven...I'm glad to have "met" and sung along with him here.   

3 comments:

The Dude said...

I saw that, MamaM. He really was something. I remember him getting some airplay back in the '70s and seeing him on SNL, but most notably I remember arguing with a classmate who swore that he was black. Uh, no, I can understand how one might think that, but he's not.

He had a great eclecticism about his listening habits. I listen to a lot of stuff but he wins that contest, hands down. We are tied on the Tuvan throat singers, I pull ahead with the Bulgarian men's chorus, but laps me with Mustafa the Castrato and Imre Laszlo. You just can't hear too much good music, that's for sure.

edutcher said...

A voice and choice of material like no other.

ndspinelli said...

My bride turned me on to Leon Redbone. I love his work.