Saturday, February 7, 2015

Still Chillin'?

A week late, but welcome to Mudmonth!

From The Anglo-Saxon Year, a historical look at the naming of months by the Anglo-Saxons:
February was known as SolmonaĆ°. According to Bede, the name comes from the cakes which they offered to their gods in that month. However, the word sol is not used in any Anglo-Saxon source to mean 'cake'. It's most common meaning is, in fact, 'mud'. Two possibilities arise. Either the kind of cake offered was called 'mud' due to its colour or texture, or, more plausibly (to those familiar with the English climate), February was simply known as 'Mudmonth'.
Mudmonth begins with a shiver but ends with a febrile thaw to prepare for spring.

7 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

It's a tolerable sunny 70 degrees here at the palm beaches.

A nearby Dunkin Donuts was robed... or so my brother in law tells me.

I went to checked it out today, walking past the closer to me Starbucks.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I like the way The PBS Station identification guy says "The Palm Beaches".

chickelit said...

A nearby Dunkin Donuts was robed...

Some kind of toga party?

AllenS said...

What kind of donuts did they steal?

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Breaking: Brian Williams is benching himself.

"Take misled off my broadcast for the next several days"

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

"What kind of donuts did they steal?"

I don't know... I got a Boston cream and a jelly.

I don't know what I expected to see.

Rabel said...

"I got a Boston cream and a jelly."

You've been up to visit Titus?