Thursday, September 7, 2017

"Woman pulls gun, fends off carjackers"

Via InstapunditKari Bird just started law school and continues to work full time. Bird got home at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday and when she got out of her car, a group of three or four young guys approached her.

“I really didn’t think too much about it, one of (them) was smiling,” Bird said.

He was smiling, but he quickly pulled out a gun.

“He told me to … give him my keys,” Bird said.

She did turn over her keys, but realizing all her law books and belongings were in the car, Bird made a quick decision. With the gun still pointed at her, she reached into her center console to pull out her own gun.

“(He said), ‘Oh s***’ and then ran,” Bird told Fox 59.

Bird said the boys looked like teenagers and as a mom, she can’t get that out of her head.

“If these were my kids and they were out at 11:30 at night, terrorizing women, I would scare the life out of them,” Bird said.

(Link to more) 

11 comments:

Leland said...

I would scare the life out of them

You almost did, but I suspect they'll live this time.

AllenS said...

A happier ending would have been if she shot all of them.

Trooper York said...

Since there was no description we know their description.

edutcher said...

A lot of punks think their victims will be afraid because of a gun. Sometimes, they're dead wrong.

PS I'd say Barbara Stanwyck in the part.

Leland said...

I don't disagree Deborah. I thought the same at first when I read that they had what was claimed to be a gun. However, as she is an attorney, I kinda sensed that maybe she was a bit streetwise, and perhaps there was something about how they acted that tipped her off that she only needed to scare them away. Note, she didn't seem the least bit interested in shooting them.

Methadras said...

deborah said...
What a dumbass. She could have been shot, and her kids made orphans.


So self-defense is dumb because of the potential of being shot? Seeing your property stolen from you and preventing that from happening is also dumb because you could get shot? Oh noes.

deborah said...

Upon re-reading, it looks even worse. She was outside the car and turned around to get the gun out of the console. But I agree, she had to have had a sense that these kids were pikers.

deborah said...

Stanwyck could more than pull it off, nerves of steel :)

deborah said...

Meth, I don't think it's a good idea to turn your back on a kid with a gun. But that's why you're you and I'm me :)

Methadras said...

Deborah, I don't think that's wise either, but as a matter of context, I'm a little surprised she even did that. The fact that she didn't shoot is because she either knew that they ultimately were no threat and use the weapon as more of a deterrent to strike fear in them or she flipped the coin in her head and went for it.

I'm in San Diego County where our sheriff will not issue a concealed carry permit under any circumstance that I know of, so I am left basically defenseless outside of some other means of self-defense. But I'm not a criminal, so I don't want to break the law, which criminals don't care about, so they carry concealed and I'm the one who has to suffer for it. To that effect, if I were a CCW carrier, I would carry whenever and wherever I go. I do carry within my own home however in the event home invasion.

deborah said...

Man, that sucks, Meth. It really makes you think. I lived in VA for many years, and now Ohio, which both have concealed carry. Except for libraries and such, where you might actually need one.

People talk about getting rid of the Electoral College, and this is one example of how states rights preserves certain lifestyles.