Friday, September 29, 2017

a bit of kanji

I uploaded photos to Flickr and noticed a few notifications so I read them. One was from Japan and the name had this writing and to myself I go, "Hey! I know what those little pictures mean." But I don't know if it's the person's name or what. I have no understanding beyond their literal meaning. Goes like this:

You're going to really dig this.

The three that are the same individually means "tree"

When two or three trees are together they mean "forest"

If there is another smaller horizontal line through the tree trunk near the bottom then the sign means "book" as with the name of their country, "Sun book," "Japan" very common, as you imagine.

And that makes sense because books are made from trees.

The 3 shape with a horizontal line through it and with a tree above it means "plum." 

So I read the combination as plum tree forest. Or copse, or orchard, or garden or whatever. Maybe it's the person's name. And it would make a very nice name when you think about parents naming their child Plum. "Come straight home from school, my little Plum." 

No comments: