Thursday, October 8, 2015

To Wit: A Challenge And Invitation



That's Mr. Sardonicus on the right, from William Castle's 1961 film, "Mr. Sardonicus." 

Sardonic: Why isn't there a noun form like "sardony"? The word sardonic is curious too and relates back to the island of Sardinia and what those people ate -- things like sardines: link

I get confused keeping the different forms of humor straight. Here's a handy guide I pulled from the linkable OED of English Etymology; the definitions come from H.W. Fowler's The Dictionary Of Modern English Usage.  

deviceHUMORWITSATIRESARCASMINVECTIVEIRONYCYNICISMSARDONIC
motive/aimdiscoverythrowing lightamendmentinflicting paindiscreditexclusivenessself-justificationself-relief
provincehuman naturewords & ideasmorals & mannersfaults & foiblesmisconductstatement of factsmoralsadversity
method/meansobservationsurpriseaccentuationinversiondirect statementmystificationexposure of nakednesspessimism
audiencethe sympatheticthe intelligentthe self-satisfiedvictim & bystanderthe publican inner circlethe respectablethe self

That's a very cool table. I went looking for my copy of Fowler which I bought in college but haven't seen since I can remember. So I just went and bought a copy using Lem's portal. I want to discuss this topic (and that book) at a future date. If anybody else has the book or would like to buy it and follow along at a future date, please do.

What forms of humor do you employ in your writings and comments at Lem's Levity?

14 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Discuss...

chickelit said...

Discussibus non est disputandum

chickelit said...

There is a 4th edition of Fowler's work which just came out (2015). I just bought the 1926 1st edition because I figure it had the most original impact. The edition I had (but apparently lost along the way) was a 2nd or 3rd edition.

Chip Ahoy said...

We employ the devise of straight observation and description. There is nothing comical in intention nor anything amusing about it. That people crack up laughing at apparent cynicism, irony, satire, invective or sarcasm when mere observation is presented is baffling and indicates their own humor is dark. Or else not, that they are good natured to see humor in everything and I am the bleak one that verbalizes what everyone already notices.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Forms of humor? I think of boos and hisses. I'm on the run today.

Isn't it curious how all these gross billionares want Hillary to get in?

Schmidt and soros to name a few.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

I don't need Mr Sardonicus' plastic surgeon.

deborah said...

Discussibus: Obama discussing the pros and cons of throwing someone under the bus.

Intriguing and rather specific table, chick, but open to critique?

I get irony and satire confused, myself.

deborah said...

Today three out of state calls came to the house, which I did not answer. I told my son we'd had calls from Ohio, Utah, and Minnesota. He observed it must be because of the political season and that gerrymandering had gotten out of control.

chickelit said...

If Biden runs and wins, political cartoonists will draw him as the cheshire cat if they haven't already done so.

chickelit said...

deborah said...

Intriguing and rather specific table, chick, but open to critique?

Yes. Some of it is very specific and perhaps frozen in time (1926). When I get my copy of Fowler, I hope to see that it has some discussion/examples. I suspect that Fowler never actually produced such a table; rather, someone summarized his paragraphs at the link I provided.

deborah said...

Thanks, still a fascinating exercise.

chickelit said...

Chip Ahoy said...
We employ the devise of straight observation and description. There is nothing comical in intention nor anything amusing about it. That people crack up laughing at apparent cynicism, irony, satire, invective or sarcasm when mere observation is presented is baffling and indicates their own humor is dark. Or else not, that they are good natured to see humor in everything and I am the bleak one that verbalizes what everyone already notices.

A very measured response, Chip and I am impressed. To be honest, this post was "half-assed" on my part because I wanted to research the Fowler part with my old copy but gave up looking and then punted by kicking it to a future date.

Thanks for responding in kind.

deborah said...

I read Chip's comment several times, but was puzzled. Cynicism and the rest depend on 'delivery' for the humor.

On the other hand, I'm rare and eccentric and find humor in the absurdity of juxtaposition. Things people around me don't see the same way I do.

For example, if my mom is watching Fox news, and they are talking about Hillary doing something, I'll spontaneously give a short laugh because she is screwing with people.

deborah said...

.