Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Sleep cycles

I recently started using an app on my iPhone called Sleep Cycle.

It's an alarm clock; it's supposed to wake you at the optimum part of your sleep cycle.  When you set a conventional alarm clock for 5:30, it's going to wake you at 5:30, and you could be half-awake, deep in REM, or somewhere in between.  It's the app developers' theory that if you're forcibly awakened during the wrong part of this cycle, it makes you feel like crap for the rest of the morning.

So you set the alarm on the app and lay the phone down on the bed with you.  Using its accelerometer, the iPhone detects and records your movements (you don't roll over during REM) and it charts your sleep level from this.  If you set the time for 5:30, it will wake you any time between 5 and 5:30, when it thinks you're at the optimum sleep level to wake.

When you wake up, it rates the quality of your sleep.  What I've found is:  During week days, my sleep is horrible -- the rating is something like 45%.  On weekends, it's better -- something like 85%.

My question for commenters:  Does this stuff work, or is it new-age argle-bargle?  It seems to help for me, but it could be placebo effect.

And:  Does anyone else use this app?  What's your sleep quality rating?

11 comments:

chickelit said...

How long have you been back Pastafarian? I haven't read you here for years.

The Dude said...

Good to see you here, Pastafarian. To answer your question, no I do not use that app. I use a nap.

ampersand said...

Who's App is it? Could be Alexa or Siri determining what's the best time to raid your home. Trust no one.

Trooper York said...

Little bit of false advertising here.

I was cleaning up the "drafts" folder and I found this post. So I posted it.

I don't know if pasta reads us anymore. He is not eligible to post at this time although I would be happy to reinstate his posting privileges.

This was in the nature of casting bread upon the waters to see if he might respond.

Trooper York said...

There is also a post in draft by Darcy which I wouldn't post without her permission as she is still around now and again. If she gives permission I will post it.

Meade said...

Trooper York said...
“Little bit of false advertising here.“

Also known as fraud. Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus.

ndspinelli said...

I learned decades ago, when an attorney starts using Latin, then they are really full of shit. When a lawnboy spews Latin, he's speaking for his bride.

The Dude said...

First off, she is not his "bride" as theirs is a sham marriage. Second, he shows up here for the same reason that ignored toddlers misbehave - any attention is better than the total lack of attention he gets at home.

ndspinelli said...

In Colorado you can actually marry yourself. I officiated a marriage of a young couple in 2016 in Telluride. They asked me to preside but they actually married themselves.

ndspinelli said...

The psych analysis is spot on.

Meade said...

Mea navis aericumbens anguillis abundat