Tuesday, July 27, 2021

McKayla Maroney Saves The Day.....but that don't matter

th

I have been watching this series on IMBD TV which is a streaming service hooked up with Amazon. They have a bunch of series and movies that are not cutting edge but just good shows from a couple of years ago. The new stuff is on Netflicks and Hulu and Disney and other premium streaming services. When they lose their freshness they devolve to IMBD. The difference is commercials.
 
IMBD has commercials that are embed in the show. You can't fast forward. So you have to endure the commercials and there is an added problem. They play the same two or three commercials every time. You start to despise them and you will refuse to ever consider buying their products.

One of the most ubiquitous is the one for Geico with the gymnast McKayla Maroney getting a Frisbee off the roof. I don't know jack shit about gymnastics since I think it is a pretty stupid sport and like ice skating is for women and sword swallowers. I guess McKayla is big deal or was a big deal or something. But even my dim skull has adsorbed that there is another young girl who is the big star at the Olympics this time around. 

Apparently she is a big deal and won a bunch of medals in the last Olympics and was the leader and inspiration to the team this year. Well it seems she quit and walked off and abandoned her team. She choked and was the reason the team lost the gold this year. I listened and read to a bunch of excuse making for her actions. They are a big bunch of bullshit. You have seen it before in sports. She lost her nerve. Like Arod did as a Yankee. Like Piazza did when Clemens beaned him. Like many a Giant quarterback did when they were sacked for the umpteenth time and were running for their life. You see it all the time in sports. The excuses are just lame and stupid.

I bet they make her a hero. I can see it now. She will be bigger by choking and quitting than by digging deep and persevering. That's how America works these days. 

It's sick out there and getting sicker.

4 comments:

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

If she was suffering from a some sort of mental break down or panic attack - I doubt she would have been able to perform. I've had one debilitating panic attack (that I recall) in my life, and I know other people who suffer from them more frequently. Are these attacks some sort of a 1st world wussy disorder? I do not know. But they feel real when they wash over you. I recall being paralyzed with fear. Sort of an fight or flight or a dream where you want to scream and run, but you can't.

but now we jump into 2 camps. Those who have compassion for her and those who do not.

Fun.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

Biles is a big deal. She's a power-house. She is also very sweet. Biles is the opposite of the fucking purple haired Nazi who plays soccer.

NorthOfTheOneOhOne said...

Can Of Cheese for Hunter said...

but now we jump into 2 camps. Those who have compassion for her and those who do not.

It's not that people don't have any compassion for her, it's that we know how this is going to go once the Olympics is over. We're going to hear again and again how she's a victim and we're going to hear again and again how she's the Greatest Of All Time and how we're not worthy of her, etc., etc., etc. What bullshit! She choked; she doesn't need to be branded a failure forever, but she doesn't deserve a complete pass for her decision.

I wonder if all those people who want to wring their hands over Simone Biles would be as compassionate when their toilet is spewing sewage all over the place, but the plumber just can't come out today because he's not in the right headspace. Ya think?

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

I'm not paying attention - has Biles been interviewed by the OAC press - and given the platform to be the media darling victim yet?

I'm open to changing my mind about her.

Mostly - I feel bad if she choked - that cannot be fun for her. Now she will probably be pressured to explain to the boo hoo asshole press why it happened.

I say leave her alone. The team took silver. Deal.