Sunday, March 2, 2014

NYT City Tales: "A Yellow Beverage"

"Taking my place in the cashier’s line at a Midtown Duane Reade chain drugstore last week, I eavesdropped on the conversation between the two women just ahead of me, who were comparing the drink in the bottles that one of them was holding with other drink products: color, sugar content, taste, etc.

"The woman with the bottles appeared to have second thoughts about the drink, and she left the line, asking me if I would hold her place as she went back to the shelf for one more look. I said O.K. When she returned, she was still holding the same bottles, an orange-ish liquid that looked like nothing ever found in nature. Had she overcome her doubts?

"As the line moved forward, I exercised my New Yorker’s right to butt in, and asked her why in the world she would drink that stuff.

"She looked at me as if I were asking a dumb question, and said: “I wouldn’t touch it. I need it for a prop in a play. The character has to drink his own urine, and this is the closest I can get to the right look.”

NY Times

7 comments:

Unknown said...

An authentic representation of urine can be captured by asking an occupy movement person to whiz into an empty bottle. He only drinks organic hemp tea, so, you may want to give him a b-vitamin ahead of time so his urine is nice and yellow. For dramatic effect. Just trying to help.

Watered down mountain dew would probably suffice.

Wait - this is what the NY Times wants to talk about?

Trooper York said...

Dude if she just wanted to match the color of urine perfectly you just had to show her your under shorts.

Known Unknown said...

I just had to buy a cat skeleton for a prop, so I can empathize with this woman.

The Dude said...

If a New York actor was going to drink something that was supposed to look like urine, I would have gone with urine.

Oh, I see - urine town!

Trooper York said...

That's too bad you had to buy it EMD. Don't you know any feminists? I bet they have a couple of cat skeletons in their closet that you could get for free.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Bitter Orange juice from the bodega looks just like the real thing.

john said...

Another Gandhi post.