Sunday, March 23, 2014

gyros


From a dog's point of view. About a delicious aromatic gyros sandwich with bright fresh ingredients. The dog sees it up there, calling him, calling him, drawing him closer.

The page is a brief photographic essay on a gyros sandwich that attempts to convey scent through pictures. Arranged so the photographs speak of driving hunger and resistance to taboo, a willingness to break human law to investigate in order to attain satisfaction, but ultimately denial and crushing disappointment, a return to low social position, to hunger and disillusionment.


Pronounced "heros" but with an abrupt and gurgly initiating "h," that is really not any type of "h" present among acceptable English phonemes. It is an entirely different sound, like you're working up a luggie from the bottom of your throat and preparing to spit something tar-covered from you lungs. Try it. Try a cartoon exaggerated huck-huc-huck type "h" and that is the sound used for the delicious sliced and stacked and stood up roasted lamb that is an original fast food. We spell it with "g" to avoid that whole mess. Go on, say it that way next time you order gyros in a Greek restaurant. H-h-h-h-h-heros. They will smile a warm acknowledgment for your attempt at breaking free of your own limited language range and capturing the essence of theirs.

I made that up. But you have to admit, it is an icebreaker.

You get the idea in a few shots. Three or so pictures of a sandwich getting closer and closer as if descending from heaven, but it is really a dog approaching. You are the dog.

I think that is probably why the Germans like it.

That's the thing that got me. They have oddly been popping up suddenly through Yelp, and that is all I can see. I have no idea what Yelp.de is doing but it is leading German readers to me. I think they like the well-behaved dog. Maybe they like the sandwich. I don't know. It is supposed to be a quiet day around here and this unusual activitah caught my notice. I think it's interesting.


This is going on the last couple days. Suddenly my gyros sandwich is popular in Germany. I like that.

5 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

If Chickl were here... he would say something. I'm sure of it.

chickelit said...

The Germans call gyros Doner Kebab. It's Turkish actually (see link). Ask a Turk, and he or she will tell you that the Greeks stole it from them, just like Cyprus and Helen of Troy.

Anyways, the concept is the same. I once lived on Doner kebab and beer for an entire week in Berlin. Fun times.

ricpic said...

I love gyros. But I can't stand the white sauce. So I always make a point of no sauce no sauce when I order. And I always get a startled look from the counter guy. No one understands my preferences!!!

rhhardin said...

If you push one north, it moves west, if they're like the gyros I know.

ken in tx said...

I actually ordered a gyro at a Greek food stand at a street fair using the Greek pronunciation. The pimple faced clerk said, “Did you mean a jyroe?”