Friday, July 3, 2015

"Why on earth would we get rid of our wonderful things?"

"Go ahead, call me materialistic. I'll just wonder what you think you are made of"
It is time to celebrate the gentle art of clutter. We live, and we pick up things along the way: the detritus of adventure; the vessels of mealtimes; the books and music of a life of the mind; the pleasures of our daily romps through the senses.

In accumulating, we honour the art of the potter, sitting at a wheel; we appreciate the art of the writer, sitting at a desk; we cherish the art of the painter, standing in front of an easel. (By this litany ye shall know that I have many books, many paintings, many pots – and many more things I love.)

I can assure you that I know all about moving into less space and different space. I am also here to tell you that stuff responds to mysterious forces at work in the universe in much the same way as do the moon and the tides.

No matter how much stuff you give your sister, still in her large house, so that you can fit into your cosier shell, within a few years I guarantee you will have new possessions winking happily at you from tabletops and bookshelves. And you will be glad to see them. (accumulate the whole thing)

5 comments:

edutcher said...

Lem, the Left only wants you to get rid of your wonderful things, so there'll be more wonderful things for them.

Trooper York said...

I have been dumping a lot of stuff I had laying around my blog over here. Just sayn'

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I lost stuff once via a theft, and another time, my stuff was thrown away because it was thought to be abandoned.

ricpic said...

I can honestly say that I have no attachment to things. I know this because I once had all kinds of cool stuff, including raku pottery, which is a big deal in ceramic circles, and it's all gone now and I don't miss it, not even a twinge. Except for one item: a narrow necked wide bottomed coffee cup which is my life's companion and which would kill me if it broke.

AllenS said...

I have a huge pile of scrap iron. I cut everything up so that it qualifies as "3 foot". $140 a ton is what it will bring. Some of this stuff I've had for 20 years, some maybe longer. It's time to get rid of all of the old junk, and get enough money so I can buy some newer junk.