Friday, July 24, 2015

And a citizenry that votes for an asshole is less deluded than one that votes for a messiah.

Thus, voting for, say, Silvio Berlusconi (a kind of wealthier mini-Trump, and yet the third longest serving prime minister in Italian history, after Mussolini and Giolitti) is less psychologically unhealthy than voting for Barack Obama. And, come to that, less damaging to republican virtue than voting for the previous guy's wife or brother.

Explaining Trump, I like the paragraph, previous guy's wife or brother. Painful as it's so low and true.

I did not know that, or that, or that, so much packed in there; the mini-Trump thing, the longest serving thing, nor even that Giolitti was a long serving prime minister. I must admit Mark Steyn sure knows history. He tosses these little goodies out I think because he knows his readers like it. I do. I was wondering where did he ever come up with the John McCain joke, it's awful no matter who says it, but then to come up with a thing like that to support your opinion, is interesting. Did he research that or what? Remember it from that long ago? Was it that bad it stings this long after? He explains later he wrote about John McCain's joke at the time that McCain told it. Now all that makes sense. 

I like the piece on steynonline The Superbowl of Heroes because Steyn says what I've been thinking, and I like his historical tidbits. My angle is not wrapped up with Trump, we overlap noticing that the right is doing the same thing SJWs do by creating a no-go zone for everybody and reacting with full fury when violated so that John McCain comest to represent all POWs and all servicemen and not just John McCain who does not represent those two groups very well. 

6 comments:

bagoh20 said...

A great quote that while not endorsing Trump, explains how we can and do choose much worse, considering the stupidity that is democracy's weak point.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Trump's appeal is also because he is an outsider who mocks and calls out the decades-long stupidity and incompetence of the Imperial City insiders.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

Trump's act is smart and people are falling for it. He is saying exactly what everyone, including me, want to hear. I think he's in it to go 3rd party for Hillary.

William said...

Trump isn't actually in the arena. He's in the publicity tour that WWE wrestlers go on before the bout.......I would vote for Trump for Mayor or Governor of NY. It might work out, or he might be another Jesse Ventura. Couldn't be worse than DeBlasio, but that's too big a gamble for President......I have more respect for Bloomberg. He was actually in the arena and not on the press tour. I'd like to see him get in on the Democratic side. I would pick him over Hillary or Sanders. Unlike Sanders he believes in capitalism, and, unlike the Clintons, he made his money honestly.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

It would be a good idea if Trump ran as a Democrat. I agree, William.