Saturday, March 29, 2014

why I don't fly


Gnarly. The man has a knack for clearing a private area. 

Speaking of gnarly, I was afflicted with callus in the wrong places due to not walking the right way so I tried a lot of different things to correct that and they all failed. Soaking, lotions, scrubbing, pumice, soaking more, lotions for severe things, application, inserts, two canes instead of just one, correcting my gate, thinking of every single step when I walk, and all of that failed. And the thing is I am not walking enough to have those things. If I walked on my hands they wouldn't be callused. Possible exaggeration.

So I go, think of something else. What would an old fashion home remedy be? Probably hot soaking in baking soda or something so I tried that. Dumped 1/3 box baking soda into water hot as I could stand and soaked for a long time. Significant progress in two such soakings, and cleared up entirely in three. And the hot soaking feels so good I keep doing it even though the callus is cleared. I told this to an office of ladies and they all jumped in at once with similar anecdotes and remedies including other ingredients, epson salt whatever that is and scented oils and the like such as that purple one, I can not think of it, wait, I made fun of it, vender, that's it,  la vender. 

I have some of that too, but I'm not going to use it. I'd have la vender smelling hoofies and an oily basin. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I took an Epson salt bath the other night. Added some girly bubble bath in there. Ah.

deborah said...

Do you MIND? You at least owe us a picture of your footies for that invasion of mental space.

ricpic said...

Chip, Hammacher-Schlemmer sells something called the Plantar Fasciitis Walking Shoe and also the same in an athletic shoe, that is supposed to maximize comfort by properly aligning the feet, or something like that. Anyway, it might apply to your condition and you might want to take a look.

deborah said...

My son, a couple years ago ordered some inserts that are custom made by standing in some sort of foam that conforms to the feet, and then they pour a plaster mold. He said the inserts worked wonders. They were about $75.

The inserts have worn out, and rather coincidentally, if you know what I mean, just yesterday I phoned the place, in another state, he'd had them made. The gal said he should have been given the plaster molds for future copies, but apparently they forgot to give them to him. The store is undergoing a grand move now, but next Friday I'll call her and she will send out the foam impression maker.

To complete the picture, he was informed at a different time by a grouchy podiatrist, who apparently resented being assigned every week or so to the boonies, that no, he did not have high arches, and it is a common misconception that just because your foot at rest yields a high curve in the sole, that is not the same as having high arches, thank you very much.

rhhardin said...

I stopped flying when I took up long distance bike riding.

If a trip isn't in bike range, it isn't worth taking.

That was in 1971.