Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The Killer Angels



Joshua Chamberlain walked into the suite at the Willard Hotel. He was in his brigadier general dress uniform. His brother Tom who was the commander of the 20th Maine after him was by his side. Just as he had been in the hospital where he forced him to live. The terrible wound he had obtained at Petersburg. The only reason that he had survived is that his brothers will to force him to live and the skill of his regimental surgeon Shaw who had saved his life.

There was a short square man sitting in chair in a mussed private’s uniform smoking a cigar. It was Grant. General of the Army. The man who had finally defeated old Bobby Lee and won the war. In fact there were several Generals.

More stars than to be found in the summer’s night.

General Sherman sat on a settee sipping a cup of tea. “Step in Chamberlain” he said.

Suddenly a balding lanky figure came up to him. Some called him a google eyed snapping turtle. He was his old commander at Gettysburg. General George Gordon Meade. Despite his reputation as a sour and cantankerous man he was very solicitous of his old subordinate.  “Come in Joshua and sit for a moment. How is your wound? I hope it does not pain you still.” He was in fact a kind man. To people he valued.

“It is tolerable General. I can make do.” He turned to General Grant.  “I am at your disposal General.”

“Sit down General you are among friends here. Admirers as well. Right Cump?” 

General Sherman grunted. “Yes you are right Grant. General Chamberlain we have a task for you. President Johnson has directed that he have a Grand Review of the Armies that won the war. We want you to lead off with the First Division. What is the status of your men?”

“We are rough but ready General. When will this parade occur?”

“On the 23rd son. We just wanted to know the status of your wound” replied General Meade. “I want you to be there with me. I am leading off with the Army of the Potomac. The plan is to ride to the reviewing stand and then join the rest of the staff. You will lead our boys past the President and the rest of the dignitaries back to camp. Can I rely on you son?”

“It would be my honor General Meade.”

“I knew we could count on you General” replied General Grant. “I am not an admirer of parades but President Johnson wants to change the mood in the country. I hope it works. There has been a sense of dread ever since poor Lincoln was shot. We are riven apart even more than during the war. The South fears retribution and the North craves revenge. We need to unite the country. I don’t think anything could be better to make a start than a big patriotic parade.”

“I will do all I can to help General. Just say the word. I will have our boys ready to go.”

“I reckon that is fair enough. You are dismissed General. You have two weeks to get ready. We will be in touch.”

Joshua and Tom walked out of the room and down the stairs. They passed a freedman lighting a gas light. At least they thought he was a freedman. Most all of them are these days. It was for them that they had bled.

“I wish old Buster were here to see this Joshua. He would have been proud of you.”

“I wish he was here too Tom. Too many of them are gone. Buster. Ellis Spear. All the rest. Gone but not forgotten. I remember every face. They will be marching with us. We have to do them proud.”

“We will Joshua. We will.”

They had reached the mud of the street and walked to the stable to get their horses. 

They had too much to do before the Grand Review of the Armies of the Union.

4 comments:

The Dude said...

I saw Schwarzkopf's parade up Constitution Avenue in DC after the first Gulf War. What I remember was watching the tank treads chew up the melted pavement on that hot summer day. A couple of days of normal traffic flattened it all back down again.

I get nostalgic thinking about a country that I used to love. I really miss it.

Trooper York said...

We can get it back.

We just need to deport and jail a bunch of people.

ricpic said...

"He was in fact a kind man. To people he valued."

But of course! What's the percentage in being kind to a stranger?

Is that tough enough? Oh I'm one heck of a tough guy...behind my keyboard.



*Thinks deep thoughts. Discards them. Comes up with...*

Well that's the whole thing isn't it? The country was a family back then.



MamaM, if you're out there, belated condolences. And I hope your move goes well. Moving has always been traumatic as hell for me. Even a good move and things feel "off" for months. Hope yours goes smoother.


ndspinelli said...

Nancy Pelosi standing for 8 hours was her way of saying to Dems, "I'm still vital." You know she was wearing a diaper.