Wednesday, February 28, 2018

people leaps

The dog leaping on the perp was impressive but no more so than what people do.




Got a few minutes to kill? Possibly a few hours. Your Daily Dose of Internet.  That's where I saw the first video. I cannot find the video now so I searched the individual clip independently and it came right up. 

I used to be able to jump very well. Not nearly good as this, though. And now I cannot even hop one inch. The muscles simply do not coordinate even for that. My brother thinks it's hilarious. I still can't get over him laughing at me.

It forces me to recall. 

My mind casts back to the beginning when the degradation started. I was surprised how immediate compensations developed automatically. I had balance then but at home I couldn't judge how high to lift my legs for the steps. I put my fingertips on my knees and that told me where my feet were, and I could continue to race up the steps. I brought that compensation to work. Then months later I was in hospital and saw a ballerina on t.v. and I thought, "I used to like to dance. Hey! What, do you just say goodbye to dancing just like that? Fine. No more dancing for me. Some things you just outgrow. I guess."

From age five, every relative I had told me directly face to face, holding my shoulders imparting something urgent, "enjoy your good health while you have it because it doesn't last forever." I know. I know. I know. I know. I KNOW! But that concern is so far away.

I feel no jealousy. Just joy watching natural athletes glory in extending their own physical feats. There is no Olympics for his dribbling two basketballs or jumping a stacked bin and box but he is no less impressive.

3 comments:

edutcher said...

Jumping over people is a bad idea.

One pro football player (whose name escapes me) tried that in a game and his toe caught on a defensive back's shoulder.

The guy landed on his head and was paralyzed from the neck down.

Dad Bones said...

A guy like that might like having a German Shepherd. The two of them could have running and jumping games and never get tired of it.

ricpic said...

Jumping Over People Is A Bad Idea

What a great title for a movie, a novel, a play, a TV show. The possibilities are endless. A video game.