Saturday, February 17, 2018

daikon salad

Surprisingly, King Soopers has daikon radish. The first fifteen times I looked I didn't see it. Then I asked one of the grocery staff about it. The next time I went in, there it was. And that compelled me to buy one with no particular use in mind.

A week ago I ordered groceries online through Amazon. The order fulfilled by both Amazon and Sprouts. I was pleased with everything. All substitutions were fine, and the service quite impressive. While ordering I became confused by my order split between Amazon and Sprouts, so two orders then, and double checking incorrectly caused a bit of duplication, but no problem. I can use two bottles of soy sauce and two small bags of apples. I recommend this service. It was hassle free and actually fun.

Oven cleaner is the one thing the two places didn't have that King Soopers does have.

I expected the daikon to be wonky since I didn't choose it myself. I want to run it through a curling spiralizer for long strands such as you see underneath your sushi. But they delivered an ideal size and shape. One that works very well on the gadget.



Katsuobushi bonito flakes is a bag this stuff. It is a dried and smoked skipjack tuna that is run across a plane like this to produce flakes such as wood shavings. It is a bag full of flavorful dried fish-flakes. The flakes are steeped as tea for the base of seafood soup stock. Often with kombu seaweed. You can buy the dried/smoked whole fish and shave it yourself if you want. It's smoked and fermented multiple times to get the most intense flavor. It looks like an overripe banana.

Nori is the dried seaweed paper that is used for sushi.

Harvesting video follows.


On regular over the air t.v., I was watching a channel devoted to Asia. The Japanese daikon farmer used a backhoe to dig a trench immediately next to his daikon radishes without damaging them, exposing their sides in the dirt. He pulled them out sideways. I suppose this method keeps the soil loose so all his radishes grow deeply and straight down. No bending, no dividing, all perfect missile shapes. But a very difficult and labor-intensive way to go.




No comments: