Saturday, September 2, 2017

double even layer tomato satisfaction.

At Ace's Saturday Labor Day weekend gardening thread, [KT] Open Blogger (I don't know what that means) posted a photograph of delicious looking tomato sandwich. It's a BLT, actually, the idea is that when in season tomato is the star and bacon plays supporting role. I thought, oh man, that's going to be a debate over there.

They're rowdy bacon lovers in comments at Ace's. I'm imagining.

I agree. I wrote about the virtue of great tomato sandwiches on another blog. A lot of times, actually. So many times over a decade that I had difficulty finding the post. I bragged I would win a sandwich contest with great tasting tomatoes on my own sourdough bread. Those two things, summer tomatoes and sourdough bread cannot be beat for a sandwich. And anything additional wrecks its beauty. No bacon. No lox. No cheese. No lettuce. Nothing to complicate or detract from two extraordinary flavors. Two complete satisfactions. I honestly think I could live on a diet of that.

Lie.

I know I couldn't live on those two things but I'm trying to make a point over here, okay? I can almost live on them for weeks at a time. Then summer ends. And there goes the extraordinary tomatoes.

My post on the other site is called "bread from the sky." It's an idyll on sourdough bread but that's all romantic hyperbole too. Those same organisms from the atmosphere that I'm talking about, that become foci for raindrops are already on the wheat before it is milled. Wheat is not treated before it is milled. It's cleaned of debris but it's not actually washed. So whatever organisms attacked the wheat as it grew are still there after the wheat is milled. That means you can make sourdough starter directly from raw wheat. And it's rather fast too. Collecting more from the air concentrates organisms from your precise area. But then winds bring in atmosphere from distant locations. Still, after all that, you really can produce sourdough bread unique to your geographic location. My Denver sourdough is utterly unique and it's the most powerful starter I have.

The thing about tomato sandwiches is the tomato is round and it doesn't fit on the bread, and tomato is wet and slippery, the whole thing is a slip zone, which is great for mouth-feel and somewhat soaking sourdough bread but detrimental for hand to mouth sandwich coordination. The sandwich tends to fall apart in process. And tomatoes are stacked unevenly for uneven tomato satisfaction.

The trick is cut the tomatoes to double thick slices and trim off the round edges. So there are no empty spaces and no double stacked slip zone tomato.








9 comments:

AllenS said...

Yeah, it's a LT sandwich.

Chip Ahoy said...

They're not done making theirs. There is bacon in waiting in the background.

Tony's Market down the street has the best ham that I've ever tasted. Better than bacon, better than prosciutto, better than Honey Baked, better than jamón serrano, better than anything. Problem is, they're charging $17.00 LB. And that's a lot just for sandwiches. (and omelets, and calzones, and stromboli, and eggs Benedict, and pizzas, and plain noshing and grazing, But now I don't want anything else because I know what ham can be. And anything that good will cost just as much. That's the problem with quality. It's expensive.

deborah said...

I, too, can live on tomato sandwiches for weeks and weeks. But I need miracle whip or mayonnaise and salt. With a big glass of milk.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

What does Tony's Market do to make its ham so awesome?

Chip Ahoy said...

I have no idea. It looks like regular sandwich ham. And every time I buy it I resent the cost. Then I get home and cannot keep off it and it's gone before I know it and I wish I had bought more. And next time I WILL. Like tomorrow.

It's a little bit sweet.

But know what's not sweet?

This is entirely different. I just now ran into this.

The following is quite ugly.

A woman named Ariel dated a young man twenty years her junior. They had a great time together. The woman wanted more of the young man but he "ghosted" her. That is, he refused to take her calls thereafter. So she calls an Arizona radio station to help her contact the guy.

The radio recording is matched to video game visual recording to appear as if the driver is listening to the radio. Audio and video have nothing to do with each other. The radio action occurs in Arizona, the street scene is Boston.

The radio show really did happen. Other news agencies picked up the story. If you search you will find it right off along with other similar incidents. Such as "woman dates son's High School football player friends" That sort of thing.

[Clue: It occurs to the woman to try a different approach at contacting. Choices are
1) Use another phone that is not yours.
2) Call radio station for help.

If you suspect he is ghosting you, how will embarrassing him over the radio help? It won't help. Women are smarter than this. Although they're can also be this weirdly manipulative. Especially when it comes to sex.]

The radio station contacts the young man. He does an excellent acting job of being surprised and piecing together what is happening. It's convincing.

They tell him that if he goes out on another date they'll pay for it. (nice touch)

He tells the radio guys that he is not interested, that he was bullied in school, and this is the bully's mother. He had revenge sex with his bully's mother.

The radio guys act shocked. Much crossover talk that confuses. The woman is on the line. She's good too. Very convincing. She acts hurt. "What about me?" That really is something a woman will say.

The young man is unrepentant. He insists she is responsible for her son's bullying behavior. He holds her responsible as much as he holds the bully responsible. He doesn't care about her feelings. Brutal.

The recording is loaded with sinister gems.

Real gems, I tell you, precious shiny glittering mesmerizing gems.

Of the sort your own mother would slap the shit of you for even mentioning.

Because your own mother wants you to be a pastel little Easter egg angel.

And she's just not going to put up with this shit.

The radio hosts asks what he intends to do with this. The lad answers, "Show him the picture of my d**k in his mom's mouth."

I died right there. Listeners all over the place die flat right there.

This fake radio crap is just outrageous.

The woman says, "Say that again so I can prosecute you."

The lad says, "Oh you were looking right at me."

Now, all listeners create a visual image of what the photograph looks like.

It's insane!

YouTube video.
Radio station host accidentally serves a brutal case of revenge

Where purposefully is redefined as accidentally .

Comments to the video are numerous, on YouTube and elsewhere.

Male commenters differ sharply from female commenters.

Some males regard the perpetrator a hero, in an epic sense. They don't care if the whole thing is true or a setup.

Others think he could use a psychiatrist.

Others (like me) think the whole thing too precise to be real. Although their acting is Oscar-worthy. And the prank on radio listeners is outstandingly perverse.

That is what is not so sweet as Tony's ham.

ndspinelli said...

Tomato, pepper, eggplant and corn season are one of my favorite times of year. Beats Christmas hands down. Yesterday, my son-in-law's father turned 70. They had a surprise party for this retired Marine and nice guy. I was put in charge of the corn. I found a Pollack family that own a farm along the Mississippi that grow the best fucking corn I've ever eaten. And, when you live in the Midwest, there is a LOTTA competition for INCREDIBLE corn. I called the Pollack early in the week and the wife said she would have 3 boxes[12 dozen] fresh picked for me on Saturday morning. I pick them up and instead of shucking the pile of corn @ home, I got a large coffee and stopped @ a nice park in Hastings, MN. along the Great River to start shucking.

The corn is about half shucked when a nice family w/ young kids pull up to start a hike on a trail along the river. This cute MN towhead 3 year old boy comes up and engages me. I'm a kid magnet. So, I have him "help" me shuck. Then, he reaches into the box of cleaned corn and starts eating an ear. The mom is mortified. I always forget Midwestern folk aren't much on ball busting. So, I say in my deadpan voice, "Christ lady, don't you feed this kid?" She is MORTIFIED.."I'm SO sorry, I'll pay you for the corn." I need to diffuse. So, I put my hand on her shoulder and tell her the truth, "I'm Italian, there is no greater joy for me than seeing a kid eat." She quickly understood and the stress exited her body. I invited over the more civilized 5 year old sister and she started enjoying an ear. You see folks, Midwest corn is so good it can be eaten raw and it is still great. In some respects even better than cooked.

We had a cooking logistical problem so I used a technique I've read, but not used. Put the corn in a cooler, cover it w/ boiling water, shut the lid, and wait 30 minutes. Filled up 3 coolers and they were all perfect. I ate 5 ears and some of the younger dudes ate even more. Waiting for that morning sit down, there will be plenty o' kernels in the toilet.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Thanks for sharing that image Chip! Oh!

Rabel said...

I have eggs. I have cooked shrimp. I have feta. I have butter. But I also have bacon grease.

Should I use the bacon grease to cook the shrimp and cheese omelette or stick with the butter?

Rabel said...

Holy gastronomy, Batman. That was fucking awesome. I went with the bacon grease.

Yeah, I licked the plate. What's it to ya?