Wednesday, July 8, 2015

When a villian becomes a hero!


Ever since I got my kindle I have intrigued by these books that you can download for 99 cents. I mean how could that be bad? You are not making a big investment in time or money as they are generally short stories that you can just breeze through with out stopping to come up for air.

The great Lawrence Block talks about his stories that he is putting on Amazon for that great low price. It is a way to encourage short stories and novellas and such. I already have most of these stories in various collections I have bought through the years but will buy them again for a dollar. Just to have them on the kindle to pull up at my leisure.

Anyhoo, I got this crazy book called Thor Meets Captain America!

I found it by just typing in Captain America in the search function of the kindle and it popped right up. What it is about is an alternative universe where the Norse Gods of Asgard decide to ally themselves with the Germans during World War 2 and stop them from losing. Then Loki of all people rescues the Jews in the concentration camps and magically transports them to Israel.

And Loki becomes an ally of the United States and the Free World as they battle the Nazi's up till the 1960's! A villain becomes a hero! Dogs and Cats lie down together! Who would have thunk it.

Its a small idea and perfect for a novella. I haven't finished it yet but it is a pretty quick read. For 99 cents you can't beat it.

Plus the whole idea will give some people a heart attack. Just sayn'

5 comments:

ricpic said...

"Plus the whole idea will give some people a heart attack."

Who sez the impulse behind making art ain't subversive?

As long as it's not boring. B-O-O-O-RING. Who said that? Not Ruth Buzzi, the other one, the big broad comedienne on Laugh In. Or maybe it was Ruth Buzzi?

ricpic said...

Jo Ann Worley. That's who it was.

Orrey G.Rantor said...

Reminds me of the book "prayers for the assassin". I couldn't get past the book cover description. The US splits up into 3-4 factions, one being Islamic. All because DC, NYC and Mecca get nuked... that leads to Americans converting to Islam or something.

Methadras said...

Alternative reality books are pretty neat. I read one where Washington fought for the British and another one where Abraham Lincoln basically let secession happen.

Mitch H. said...

Brin's short stories are generally worth the price of admission. Try his collections Otherness and The River of Time. "Thor Meets Captain America" was in The River of Time, but "The River of Time", "The Crystal Spheres", and "A Stage of Memory" were all pretty damn good, even great. From the top of my head, "Detrius Affected" out of Otherness was also pretty good.