Saturday, February 10, 2018

Stats

Do you want to see something funny?

I do not understand this. And I don't care. I've stopped trying to understand.

Apparently sometimes our regular commenters have nothing to say. And that's fine. That doesn't mean the post isn't interesting. So, no hard feelings taken. 

This same thing happened throughout childhood. One thing that held our family tightly knitted was regular dinners at the dinner table. It's a big family. So a lot of discussion. That was a given throughout and it never broke down. No television, no reading, no nothing. Just us. And I'd say something perfectly ordinary and my whole family would just completely stop talking. That's where I picked up the high-pitched ventriloquist voice to pick up the conversation that they all dropped at once and end the discomforting silence. 

It cracks people up. Talking to myself then looking around for the voice that I made.

Yesterday I posted about Ethan Van Sciver and by statistics that post was viewed more than the others. Yet nobody said anything about it. Perhaps I sent them all off to see his other videos on YouTube. I did say you can get lost in them. Perhaps everyone got lost in them. 

See? It sticks out statistically. 


A similar thing happens on another of my sites. I simply do not comprehend this so I quit trying to understand. 

I hear repeatedly musicians say a similar thing. They crank out an ordinary song, one that means nothing to them, filler for an album, and it becomes a best seller topping the things that they worked on and poured their heart into. 


The post is about a woman I know who works at Burger Fi. When I told her about these statistics she became very happy. She liked the idea of being described. Another woman overheard our conversation and she became excited as well. They both liked the idea of a little story about them being favorited above the others surrounding it. But here again, nobody said a word in response.

If you'd like to see the simple story where I describe the woman who gave me a milkshake I copy/pasted it below. It's short.


I'm standing there waiting for my two single cheeseburgers with jalapeño onion and tomato and side of fries while chatting it up with the girl with shaved hair except for the patch gathered into dreadlocks that hang down to her butt when she suddenly realized she prepared the same order twice for strawberry and chocolate milkshake. I'd buy one! But before I could offer to buy one she offered me one of the shakes for free. It's all timing.

But she did say to me, "Always a pleasure to see you come in here." 

She thinks I'm deaf. 

And she didn't say that to anyone else.

8 comments:

AllenS said...

Some threads are hard to comment on.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I watchd that video. The illustrator did a fantastic job. I’m thinking of getting the book myself.

The Dude said...

Those are unique visits, right? If so, 200 is quite impressive.

Dad Bones said...

Those stats are interesting. Years ago when a close friend was still alive and blogging he was often surprised at which posts got the most views. He did a post once on a perv who was arrested for having sex with a farmer's cow and had admitted visiting her on numerous occasions before getting caught. My friend used the word bestiality in the post which was apparently the search word that brought all the views. This was before Facebook and Twitter so I suppose the whole dynamic has changed since then.

ndspinelli said...

That's me drinking espresso and viewing compulsively, just to fuck w/ you.

bagoh20 said...

Someone fell asleep on their keyboard, or maybe died there. Last thing they did was read about your milkshake. I wanna go like that.

Amartel said...

Many of your posts are so unique that a worthy comment does not necessarily occur in the moment. Or ever. We're taking it in and that may require multiple views. Also a lot of your posts are super long.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

On my phone from a New York Times email:

“What you're doing now, reading text on a screen, is going out of style. What does the exploding power of audio and video mean for society?”