Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Chipotle rolls out new benefits including one-time $1,000 bonus due to tax cut

I thought Chipotle died. Three times.

I was in there only once. It was all the eh. What do you do, make your own burrito. And it turns out with a lot of rice and beans. Correct me where I'm wrong. I understand people love that place.

The thing is we have so many wonderful Mexican restaurants that a hipster chain doesn't make sense. Even as Torchy's, another chain, Tex Mex draws admirable crowds in the spot where Arby's failed. (Those curly fries were the worst. While their French dip was not all that bad.) Mere half block in tangental cardinal directions are two authentic Mexican family-owned restaurants both with their own style. Who needs a gigantic puffy dry @ss ersatz burrito? That is my hasty opinion.

I'm old. I can be a crank if I want to.

Chipotle restaurant is granting expanded benefits including stock grants and paid parental leave. And all that is due to one man unrelated to restaurants. Trump.

Crumbs to some, windfall to others.

Imagine yourself a restaurant worker. It might take some real imagination to put yourself there. I merely have to remember a first job still in High School.  BOOM! A thousand bucks, back then, would have been an amazing amount. I can imagine that easily.

Speaking of chipotle. Do you ever see this at the grocery?


I go through this like water. I buy multiple tins or jars at a time. It goes into everything. Including cheese breadsticks. Over eggs in place of pepper. In cream soups. In and on tempered chocolate. In polenta or cheese grits. On rice and potatoes of all types, French fries, baked potato, mashed potatoes, potato chips. On popcorn. Over vegetables. Over beef, pork, chicken and fish. Puff pastry with bacon and cheese and chipotle. Man, those things were a hit at a party. I was handing them out on my way up there before I even got into the room. It's my all-time favorite chile.

It is jalapeño peppers allowed to turn red and then roasted for a smoke flavor. You can buy them whole peppers dried and ugly and wrinkled that you reconstitute with water, and you can buy them in red adobo sauce. It's all very good. 

You can do a quick puff pastry easily enough. Even using a processor. Chill the butter and process with shredding blade then toss loosely into the flour then, drizzle ice cold water until it comes together as dough and  roll out multiple times folding layers as lamination. On the final roll out, spread the chopped chile in adobo or sprinkle the powder, sprinkle the cheese, and sprinkle the bacon bits, roll it up and cut slices then bake. Puff pastry in a snap. And everyone will regard you as some kind of legitimate chef. And impose upon you to do this again.

7 comments:

bagoh20 said...

What really pisses me off about the Dems trying to diminish these gifts from employers to employees is that they are entirely voluntary and the employers are giving away their own money. That means out of their own pockets to their employees. The self-righteous career assholes in D.C. only know how to give away other people's money and by force, which they then take credit for ad nauseum.

For the record, I give out annual bonuses of 1-2K every year to every employee adjusted for hours worked, and I have done that with or without a tax break. Since I'm still partly in California, the tax reform actually increases my taxes this year, but not for long. I can't get out of that clown car of a state fast enough.

AllenS said...

Just think that if the Democrats can flip the House and Senate, they maybe able to cancel all of Trump's tax cuts for the workers and jack up the taxes that the employers pay. Good times are ahead my friends.

bagoh20 said...

AllenS, that should be campaign magic for the Republicans and a silver bullet to the Dems, except you might not even know the good news unless you watch Fox. Recent media had a majority convinced that the tax cuts were bad for them before they passed and they continue to lie everyday. Pelosi said "Armageddon". They covered the stock market down correction like it was a glorious thing until the minute it turned back positive. As Trump said, the media is an enemy of the people.

AllenS said...

Every Republican needs to do campaign videos stating this very fact, and if they don't, well then expect the worst scenario possible. Let us not forget this fact, one third of all welfare recipients in this country are living in CA. I do believe that we have reached a point in this country's history that more people are living off of the government, than are working for a living. This might not end well. Chop, chop, bags, get out of that state. Save yourself first. By the way, what do your employees think? I am really interested in their take on the situation.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

The media ARE an arm to the Democrat party. It's not a joke. It's real.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

1,000.00?

Crumbs!

bagoh20 said...

"By the way, what do your employees think? I am really interested in their take on the situation."

Some understand, but like most people they believe what the media tells them, and I think most don't watch FOX. Only a couple Trump fans. Most don't understand politics or economics much. Political junkies like us are not normal in the general public. I think that when companies give out bonuses and specify that it's due to the tax reforms, that gets attention and changes minds no matter what they thought before. That's why Republicans warning that Dems will take it all back is very powerful stuff that people will believe.