Friday, October 18, 2013

"Does the modern man even have a go-to channel on television?"

"The concept of the “modern man” is laughable to most aging bros who who have finally accepted a more modest, less fussed-over definition of masculinity. Males have turned to the Internet for the majority of their cultural consumption and even their commerce, as men’s magazines have slowly become irrelevant fodder for suckers in airports. Besides watching sports or streaming seasons of critically acclaimed shows, the Educated Male doesn’t really have a lifestyle program made specifically for him. Over the past decade, the modern man has had to be adaptable: sensitive enough to watch female-oriented programming and confident enough to provide snarky commentary, all in the name of courtship or cohabitation. Besides watching socially acceptable narrative dramas, casual television watching required yuppie men to watch programming that wasn’t actually targeted at them."

The “modern man” is built to laugh at the way television networks marginalize a demographic’s interests. Teens, tweens, women, and the simple people who watch CBS have all been deconstructed into demographics. Esquire Network aims directly for a market that may not be mentally prepared to enjoy something without any qualifiers."

Grantland

13 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Would that be like having a men's club?

chickelit said...

Trooper York's blog is "Entertainment For Mensch"

Aridog said...

I have spent 70 years assuring anyone who asked that I don't give a shit about what some group, some party, some magazine, some television meme, some any frigging body says a man should be. I have just been one.

john said...

Not being a part of the targeted consumer audience (except perhaps for recreational hard-on drugs, but maybe not even then since I don't play golf) leaves me, like Aridog, figuratively sitting on my front porch rocker shaking my fist at kids in cars that drive by.

ricpic said...

At the end of all his "sensitivity" the payoff for the modern metrosexual male is female contempt.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I have a hardbound, 25th anniversary anthology of single-panel cartoons printed in Esquire magazine. The book was published in 1957 or so and it contains hundreds of cartoons from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. All of the cartoons seem to be about the complications involved in having a mistress. I don't recall any of them being funny.

Methadras said...

Lem said...

Would that be like having a men's club?


I'm a long standing member of the He-Man Woman Haters Club. Crack is the reigning president.

Aridog said...

Hate women? Not me, I love women. Literally when ever possible. Lately, been with the same woman for 32+ years and no regrets.

ampersand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ampersand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Methadras said...

Aridog said...

Hate women? Not me, I love women. Literally when ever possible. Lately, been with the same woman for 32+ years and no regrets.


I'm not really a woman hater. I was reminiscing about my time watching the little rascals.

edutcher said...

I go to the Western channel.

Not a lot of wussies there.

Trooper York said...

The best TV channel bar none is FX.

Their original programing such as Justified, Sons of Anarchy, The Bridge, Louie and American Horror Story is the best lineup on TV today.