Thursday, March 30, 2017

"Family Offended After Stranger Addresses Mourners At Quincy Funeral"

Via Drudge:  A Quincy family was stunned when a stranger suddenly got up at their mother’s funeral and started making comments which they feel were racially insensitive to the Asian community.

On March 18th, Adrian Wong delivered the eulogy to his mother who passed away from lung cancer.

“She was not a smoker. Not exposed to secondhand smoke. Never worked with chemicals. She was simply unlucky,” he told a room full of mourners.

Adrian was supposed to be the only speaker, but when he finished, a man named David Small, who the family didn’t know, got up, uninvited, and started addressing mourners.

Small speculated that it was “smoke in Asian churches” that led to Carol Tan Wong’s death.

“I’m not affected by this but I see that the smoke in the church in the Asian churches is so prevalent that I gag when I go inside,” Small said, adding when a funeral director asked him to step aside, “I hope what I’ve told you about the smoke in the church is not taken in offense. I mean it’s your culture.”

The Wong family was offended and posted a video of Small’s comments on YouTube.

Adrian Wong demanded an apology from Small because he believed the comments to be a broad misperception about the Asian community.

(Link to story)

15 comments:

AllenS said...

What the hell was that guy thinking?

The Dude said...

Is he Wong?

I have never been to an Asian church, so I can't tell if he was just blowing smoke or what.

AllenS said...

I dunno, let's ask G Bush -- "That was some weird shit."

Donny Genaro said...

They're making a big deal over their Small problem.

If he wanted to redeem himself he could order a few cartons of primo Asian cigarettes and distribute them to all who were offended.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I have been to Korean church and I did not see anyone smoking--other than perhaps Korean BBQ a the pot luck following.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I have no idea why you would attend a funeral and speak unless it was about how much you miss the deceased.

Even if you hated the deceased, best on express that at the wake or funeral.

Trooper York said...

Wait?

Jack Klugman is dead?

Amartel said...

If someone did that at my Mom's funeral I would punch them in the throat.

Amartel said...

That is so obnoxious and inappropriate. The guy probably felt so moved because of a perceived social need to "inform" and "nudge" Asians about their smoking but that only serves to make it more obnoxious to the point where a well aimed punching of the social justice douchebag would be an entirely appropriate response.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Troop, that was an odd one.

William said...

Eulogies are always so one sided. Many of them are filled with fake news. I'd like to see, depending on who goes first, either Hillary or Trump deliver the eulogy at either party's funeral.

Trooper York said...

I hate to explain a joke.

Google Jack and you will get it.

I mean it is a lame joke but still I am trying.

AllenS said...

Good point, Amartel. Yes. Asians smoke like chimneys.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Troop, my comment was a joke too (albeit a lame one).

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Do Asians smoke after sex? The really good ones do!