Sunday, July 20, 2014

Man first walked on the Moon 45 years ago today

"There was little sleep for the more than 3,000 news personnel at the Houston Space Center during those two historic days. Meals were hasty. Pressure was immense. Time flew," AP staffer Richard Beene wrote in a story about AP's coverage of the mission launch and moonwalk.
"Everyone was just so energized and high on the excitement of the event," Boccardi said this week from his home in suburban New York. "It took people a while to come down from the high of when (Neil Armstrong) said, 'One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.' When we heard those words it was just electric; we knew then that the mission had been successful."

"There we were, a few feet from Mission Control talking to the guys up in the capsule, about the time that man landed and walked on the moon," Boccardi recalled. "I was directing the finest news staff you could imagine assembling and we were constructing part of history."

July 20, 1969 astronaut Edwin E. Aldrin Jr.
walks on the surface of the moon
Forbes: "What Buzz Aldrin And Neil Armstrong Told Me About Parking On The Moon"

“Obviously, when we touched down, we were very relieved. Neil and I acknowledged that with a wink, a nod and a pat on the shoulder. The immediate surface was very powdery, as best we could see looking down from 15 feet. Off in the distance was a very clear horizon, maybe with a boulder. And, of course, the brightness of the sunlit surface was almost like looking out at sunlit snow. Your pupils close down, just as in orbit when the sun is on the spacecraft. The sky is black as can be, but there’s no way you can see stars. They’re there, of course, but you can’t make them out because they’re too faint with all the ambient light in your eyes.
“I don’t think it occurred to either of us to say something private. It’s just not the way we related. The discussion had to do with procedure, not ‘Have a good time out there. I’ll see you in 20 minutes.’ Knowing we were going to call ourselves Tranquility Base — but we had never rehearsed that because we didn’t want people to know — we hadn’t inserted the historic announcement into our procedures checklist. So when Neil said, ‘Tranquility Base, the Eagle has landed,’ it struck me as, ‘Gee, we’re in the middle of something, Neil. Don’t do that.’

“I don’t know what my first words were. I don’t know that they had any significance. The ones I felt most descriptive were very spontaneous and prompted by an observation of just looking around and responding. At the time, all I could come up with was an acute contrast. So I said ‘magnificent desolation.’ Those are opposing words. The magnificence of humans after millions of years being able to make a spacecraft capable of visiting another object, and then successfully landing it — what an achievement! But I was also impressed with the total desolation I saw in front of me: black sky, no stars and the horizon clearly curving away.”

“The landing was a very high-risk situation. Walking on the surface was, in my opinion at the time, far less risky. But it was genuine exploration at a place where no other human so far as we knew had ever stepped before. So we were focused on doing the very best job of completing our observations and experiments in the limited time we had available.

“We followed our checklist precisely. The real thing differed from simulation because it was ‘the real thing.’ It was a real Lunar Module, alive and operating. It was a real moon’s surface outside our window. It was really over 200 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

“I had been very concerned about the technical details of assuring that the ascent engine could be started and would do the job of getting us back into lunar orbit. But that was in the two years prior to the flight. On the lunar surface, it did not weigh on my mind at all. This was the time to think positively.”

16 comments:

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Fortunately, they got all the film developed before Fotomat went out of business.

rhhardin said...

MAN WALKS ON MOO

said the visible part of the Honolulu Advertiser.

Apparently it was a page one story.

The Dude said...

No one was happier than Ted "Number One Killer in the War on Women" Kennedy.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Could we rally to do something big like this again?

The Dude said...

No, but you knew that.

However, we can intercept and record all communications between everyone in the country, and who know, maybe the world, while simultaneously losing all traces and back up copies of files that prove government corruption.

I'd be happy if we could just build a wall along the Mexican border and shoot everyone who breaches it. Then deport all the illegals, nothing personal, Lem.

Fr Martin Fox said...

According to the calendar, it was also a Sunday.

I was seven years old.

I distinctly recall my father getting us out of bed to see something happen on TV with the moon landing, either early in the morning or late at night. But I don't just recall what part of it it was. Only that my dad -- who was born in 1907, and had seen a lot -- was pretty darn excited about this and wanted us to realize how important it was.

Trooper York said...

I remember watching the Moon landings as well.

WPIX had a three hour long show about how the whole thing was faked. It was really interesting. Bullshit but interesting.

Trooper York said...

I remember that there were a whole bunch of people who thought it was all faked.

All the old timey grandma's in the neighborhood said it was a big time scam.

They didn't believe it for a minute.

deborah said...

Sixty:
"However, we can intercept and record all communications between everyone in the country, and who know, maybe the world, while simultaneously losing all traces and back up copies of files that prove government corruption."

Yep. I understand the new F-35(?) doesn't maneuver worth hell.

deborah said...

I was almost 11, and I remember us all gathering around the television. Very exciting and cool.

Fr Martin Fox said...

Trooper:

Re: it was faked...

The ease with which some people believe the most astonishingly stupid conspiracy theories amazes me.

Chip S. said...

Buzz Aldrin had the best answer to that theory.

deborah said...

Yes, he did :)

Michael Haz said...

I was a college sophomore, working several summer jobs to scrape up tuition money for the upcoming term. I was driving a beater Chevrolet on the highway, listening to the report of the mood landing on AM radio.

I called my granddad later that afternoon because I knew he would have watched it on his black and white Sylvania television.

He was crying, very uncharacteristically for him. He was born in 1895, and told me that during his lifetime he had seen flight go from first and second generation cloth-bodied dangerous aircraft, to man landing on the moon, and he hoped for me that I'd see such a huge leap in technology and travel in my lifetime.

And he praised Kennedy for having the guts to tell the government to go to the moon.

deborah said...

That's a nice story, Haz.

Michael Haz said...

Thanks, Deb.