Wednesday, April 3, 2024

On Dominion & Ziti

 A while back I mentioned the book Dominion written by Tom Holland, a non-Christian presenting his historical perspective on the way Christianity transformed culture.  Today I was surprised (after following a link on Drudge of all places) to find that book mentioned again in the following from a story entitled, "Christianity’s decline has unleashed terrible new gods" by Madeline Grant: 

"New Atheism assumed that, as people abandoned Christianity they would embrace a sort of enlightened, secular position… New Atheism was mistaken in its diagnosis of what would follow religion’s decline. The rational world we were promised hasn’t materialized and a nastier, less reasonable one is supplanting what was there before.

…New Atheism assumed that, as people abandoned Christianity they would embrace a sort of enlightened, secular position. The death of Christian Scotland shows this was wrong. Faith there has been replaced by derangement and the birthplace of the Scottish enlightenment – which rose out of Christian principles – now worships intolerant new gods

… the thesis of Tom Holland’s book Dominion seems to be winning out, via a growing recognition that the ethics we hold as natural and universal are, in fact, anything but. Much of what atheists ascribed to vague concepts of “reason” emerged out of the faith which informed the West’s intellectual, moral, and, yes, scientific life – a cultural oxygen we breathe but never see. 

I am reminded of Levin’s epiphany at the end of Anna Karenina. Throughout the novel, Levin, a dissatisfied religious sceptic, is plagued with doubt over the purpose of existence. Yet he finally comes to a stark realization about the real roots of his belief, and the limits of a “rational” life."  

Grant closes with a line from this by Tolstoy in Chapter 12: 

"He had lived (without being aware of it) on those spiritual truths that he had sucked in with his mother's milk, but he had thought, not merely without recognition of these truths, but studiously ignoring them.

Now it was clear to him that he could only live by virtue of the beliefs in which he had been brought up.

"What should I have been, and how should I have spent my life, if I had not had these beliefs, if I had not known that I must live for God and not for my own desires? I should have robbed and lied and killed. Nothing of what makes the chief happiness of my life would have existed for me." And with the utmost stretch of imagination he could not conceive the brutal creature he would have been himself, if he had not known what he was living for.

"I looked for an answer to my question. And thought could not give an answer to my question--it is incommensurable with my question. The answer has been given me by life itself, in my knowledge of what is right and what is wrong. And that knowledge I did not arrive at in any way, it was given to me as to all men, GIVEN, because I could not have got it from anywhere.

"Where could I have got it? By reason could I have arrived at knowing that I must love my neighbor and not oppress him? I was told that in my childhood, and I believed it gladly, for they told me what was already in my soul. But who discovered it? Not reason. Reason discovered the struggle for existence, and the law that requires us to oppress all who hinder the satisfaction of our desires. That is the deduction of reason. But loving one's neighbor reason could never discover, because it's irrational."


12 comments:

ampersand said...

Was Anglicanism ever a Christian religion? It's founder was a much married wife murderer, persecutor of other faiths, vandal and thief. Funny thing is Henry 8 considered himself still a Catholic to the end, just with him replacing the pope.

edutcher said...

That "establishment of religion" thingy in the Constitution may have been more potent than we imagine. You could be a Catholic in this country (although the Prods would still look down on you and wouldn't hire you) and not get drawn and quartered for it.

You still have to be an atheist (or, more accurately, worship Marx, Engels, and Lenin as your Triimity) to be a Lefty, but the backlash over Idiot's Transgender Day of Visibility would seem to show religion is still alive and kicking here.

ampersand said...

Was Anglicanism ever a Christian religion?

Interesting and pertinent question, given such Anglicans as Oliver Cromwell.

MamaM said...

On famous Anglicans for 500:

Other famous Anglicans include: Thomas Cranmer, Elizabeth I, Richard Hooker, John Donne, George Herbert, George Whitefield, John Newton, William Wilberforce, Jane Austen, William Wordsworth, William Butler Yeats, C.S. Lewis, Dorothy Sayers, J. I. Packer, J.R.W. Stott, P.D. James, and J.K. Rowling.

Were I to enter back into participation with an organized religion, Anglicanism would be the door I'd walk through.

MamaM said...

Was Anglicanism ever a Christian religion?

Here's where the Grace and Truth Standard applies one more time as a measure of discernment. How full of it are they in principles and practice?

“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:14).

ampersand said...

That "establishment of religion" thingy in the Constitution may have been more potent than we imagine

Oddly enough that limitation was strictly for the federal government.
Some states had established churches

Denomination Disestablished
Connecticut Congregational 1818
Georgia Church of England 1789
Massachusetts Congregational 1780 in 1833 state funding suspended
New Hampshire Congregational 1790
North Carolina Church of England 1776
South Carolina Church of England 1790
Virginia Church of England 1786

ampersand said...

Were I to enter back into participation with an organized religion, Anglicanism would be the door I'd walk through.

Surprising, since Anglicans appear to be among the first to walk out of any religious aspect.

MamaM said...

Unclear from your comment, ampersand, what relgious aspects you are referring to that's bringing on a sense of surprise.

edutcher said...

ampersand said...

That "establishment of religion" thingy in the Constitution may have been more potent than we imagine

Oddly enough that limitation was strictly for the federal government.
Some states had established churches


US Constitution supersedes them all. One presumes they didn't work very hard at establishing.

edutcher said...

MamaM said...

On famous Anglicans for 500:

How many worked at it? Wilberforce, prob'ly.

ampersand said...

https://anglican.ink/2023/04/05/are-we-witnessing-the-beginning-of-the-great-anglican-schism/

The Anglican church, along with other protestant churches, is undergoing a schism due in large part to their newfound stance on gay marriage.

MamaM said...

Thanks for the link, ampersand. My experience with Anglicans, their faith and church traditions has primarily come through relationship and personal aquaintence with those I've met who are involved with spiritual direction and healing care/trauma issues.

I keep the Anglican Book of Common Prayer(recieved as a gift) in my studio alongside a wide variety of other reading materials. And I use it from time to time, as it contains a translation of the Psalms I appreciate.

While doubtful I'd go back to or find a fit within another religious system again, I hold a deep respect for the Anglicans I know.

windbag said...

I haven't been to church in years, except for when visiting the in-laws. We went to the Florida panhandle over Easter weekend and attended a service at a church we'd never heard of before. When they took up the offering, they said, "If you need food, clothing, or housing, feel free to take money out of the collection plate when it goes by." That church gets it. If I were to ever start attending again, I'd find a place like that, people like that.