Friday, October 8, 2021

"The Many Saints of Newark" is not a Mafia movie....it is a horror movie!


 Or  more accurately a horrible movie.

I can't express how disappointed I feel about this movie. How much it let me down. I thought David Chase would give us a return to the glory days of the Sopranos. He was going to give us a glimpse into the younger versions of Tony and Silvio and Paulie Walnuts and Big Pussy. We get to meet Johnny Boy Soprano and Uncle Junior in his salad days. Plus Christopher's father the legendary Dickie Moltisanti. .

Instead we get warmed over Black Lives Matter bullshit

They waste most of the movie on a subplot about a conflict between Dickie and one of his numbers runners.. The story telling is so bad there is not even a payoff to the conflict. In a shoot out they kill a couple of people and then just stare at each other and then walk away! No payoff in the final act for the premise of the whole movie.

Plus there is the Ray Liotta issue. A little of this overbaked ham goes a long way. He gets killed off in the first few minutes of the movie and comes back as his twin brother in jail that Dickie goes to talk to throughout the movie. I heard David Chase talk on the Talking Sopranos podcast about using twin brothers being soap opera bullshit and the cocksucker uses it in his movie! What a Mortadella! 

The impersonations suck balls. The only guy who nails it is the one playing young Silvio Dante. But that raises another question. He was always portrayed as a contemporary of Tony who came up in his crew. Now he is about ten years older around Paulie Walnuts age. Where is the continuity? In the fucking dumper that's where!

I am very sorry but I can't recommend this movie at all. You are better off going to the original series and watching an episode like "Long Term Parking" or the "Pine Barrens." This bag of shit is a waste of time. It was made to satisfy the contemporary demand to kowtow to BLM and the ultraliberal mindset of Hollywood. It is not for fans of crime fiction or Mafia Movies. 

Give it a pass if you can. 

I can't tell you how much it pains me to say that.

6 comments:

Amartel said...

The college tour ep or the one where they all (except Silvio and Pussy) go to Naples.
Comendatori!

ndspinelli said...

You failed to mention the best portrayal, Livia Soprano.

Dad Bones said...

Thanks Trooper. I was about to see it as per your prior recommendation but now I can scratch it off my list.

ndspinelli said...

I would not pay to see it @ the theater, but if you have HBO Max you can stream it. Remember, Trooper is a curmudgeon. It certainly could have been better, but it's not bad.

NorthOfTheOneOhOne said...

I thought David Chase would give us a return to the glory days of the Sopranos.

I haven't seen it, but one thing I've told myself is not to expect the TV show I know and love. You should have known better Trooper, somethings just can't be resurrected. Haven't you ever run into an old girl friend?

MamaM said...

Haven't you ever run into an old girl friend?

Chances are good he runs into their ample bosoms first and forgets all else.