Sunday, October 10, 2021

“It’s a Cook Book!”



 



We went to our storage unit to visit some of our shit and to pick out some of it to sell at a Yard Sale this weekend. Lo and behold I came across my favorite cookbook of all time.


I bought in an old book store in Canada for fifty cents. I have had it for about twenty years. It was published in 1903 by the Julia Child of her day. She described everything a young housewife needs to know to have a successful marriage! The being obedient to your husband was particularly amusing. Still the absolute best is the recipes. Everything from roasts to vegetables to desserts. Here is a tasty one:


Yummy. You learn the proper procedure to roast a Moose or a potato. Even one of my favorites: small birds!


The only thing she cooks with is salt, pepper, butter and lard.
Simply heavenly!

I am particularly looking forward to trying some of her home remedies for sickness and common complaints!


I am endlessly fascinated by this book. I have been reading it for hours. I am definitely going to try some of these recipes! I wonder if Stop and Shop has Crisco?

Those fucking sparrows that chirp outside my window and wake me up at dawn better watch their ass!

10 comments:

edutcher said...

I thought Fannie Farmer was the Julia Child of her day.

And it's desserts.

Unless we're talking Sahara or Mohave.

ndspinelli said...

Quail is my favorite poultry. Friends in KC were bird hunters. Every year they had a big dinner w/ pheasant, quail, fish[they were also fishermen]. All the food was great, but I focused on the quail. You east coasters wouldn't know this but when you eat hunted animals you sometimes have to pick out the buckshot. Small inconvenience.

The Dude said...

You might be surprised - my father was a duck hunter so I know about birdshot in one's meal.

Amartel said...

mutton custard.
no.

ampersand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ampersand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ampersand said...

James Lileks runs a site about regrettable food

http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/

There are ads of factory food with ingredients like Spam or Jello and you think "Yuck! Who'd eat that". But if you grew up eating mutton custard or meat croquettes I guess those foods would look mighty tasty.

ndspinelli said...

Dude, You are not an easterner in my mind. Eating duck from, Maryland Eastern Shore[?] makes you a Rebel.

ndspinelli said...

And, I should have said "birdshot" as you did. I'm a CT Yankee by birth.

The Dude said...

Pop and his pals would drive over the the Eastern Shore, right under the flyways, spend the night drinking and lord knows what all, then get up before the crack of dawn, shoot some ducks, and somehow return home the same day.

My mother hated cleaning them - too many feathers. But we got to eat fresh duck.

We had pheasant, too, but they are mostly gone now due to no-till farming.