Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Emergency Alert Message

* Loudest, most obnoxious game show "wrong answer" sound ever devised by man*

Ever devised by man with unabated hatred toward all mankind.

I have a bad attitude. A very bad attitude.

Help a brother out. Tell me how I can change my attitude. Tell me why I should change it. If you do, I won't argue. I'll actually try to change it.

I pay a fortune for internet service. More than is reasonable due to near monopoly situation. There are only two services in my specific area and the second choice is a far distant second. This month my rate was raised arbitrarily by $10.00 month without notification, boom, just like that. No cable because the company, Comcast, pulled this same crap with cable that kept getting worse. They know where I stand, their rep promised me the rates will hold steady. I'm this close --->・<--- to switching to much less efficient service because I am not going to subject myself to Comcast abuse.

Then governments federal and state abuse my service at their wim. I'm not paying for internet service so that government can contact me along with everyone at once, and for government to constantly test. I'm not driving anywhere, so I don't want the notification of some custody dispute whereby a parent takes their own child. I don't need alerts to the weather and warnings of flash flooding possibilities in remote counties every time it rains.

My phone woke me up from a dream as I was explaining something important and my single thought was and still is, "Fuck you. "

And I mean it.

Then my television runs another message across the top of my screen as I am watching it. My first and only thought is "Fuck you." *click*  The television is turned off without reading the message.

Naming an alert "Presidential Alert" Does not mean my respected president is talking to me, no, it's some engineer performing a test, someone 1/3 my age with megalomaniacal mind frame pulling his switch. Not my president. LIES!

Bite me. Just fuck off and bite me.

I'm resenting my own phone and my television. This is NOT what I want. This is NOT what I choose to pay for. And pay dearly.

This is my very poor attitude and so far I haven't heard anything that can get me off it although everyone I've talked to thinks both governments are reasonable and the warnings and tests are good.

Here's what my dream looked like. Care to see it?

It's a scene of 14th Street that in my area runs next to the capitol, then continues east on past Colorado Boulevard. On the west side it goes way out there through residences near to the foothills, parallel with more efficient Colfax that's numbered 15th st that goes all the way to Morrison. It's an effective route to and from Dinosaur ridge, plus it's an interesting ride for being so tacky.

And I mean tacky.

Gay Talese tacky.

But on the east 14th goes up Capitol Hill. A friend rented an old apartment there with Murphy bed in a cabinet in the living room wall and cockroaches and everything, across 14th from Molly Brown's house, and his large oversized window faces directly at eye level the gold dome of the capital, boom, right there in his window a gigantic gold dome. Real gold. The place is built on a hill, obviously.

I'm explaining to an unseen traveling companion that Colorado Boulevard is 40 blocks east of Broadway where I live. Broadway = 0 and Colorado Boulevard = 40.

Ellsworth running east and west is "0" for north and south streets, Broadway runs north and south parallel with the mountains and is  "0" for east and and west streets. So, 14th street is 14 blocks north of center. And Colorado Boulevard is 40 blocks east of center.

So all the houses pouring at us between Harrison and Colorado will have the numbers starting with 39something.

But that's quite impossible because in real life there are no houses pouring at us. There are only buildings fixed on the corners and those address are all on the cross streets with only a few addresses along the way on 14th St. Nevertheless, in the dream it was a very important conversation, crucial, I'd say, that was rudely and presumptuously interrupted by federal government. Can't they do their fucking little tests without being so goddamn overbearingly obnoxious?

No. They cannot.

And the only way to avoid them is to disavow technology altogether.












6 comments:

edutcher said...

You may be too young to remember Conelrad, but when I heard about this, it's the first thing that popped into my head. Conelrad was intended to tell us the Russians, or at least their missiles were on the way and to do whatever it was we were supposed to do.

Funny how your childhood comes back at you.

deborah said...

"My phone woke me up from a dream as I was explaining something important"

I am positive your unseen traveling companion was hanging on your every word ;)

Yeah, I don't have cable, but I have internet. Fox News has started broadcasting their evening line-up live...listening now.

deborah said...

Sorry, the late afternoon lineup was live, but the evening is not, as far as I can tell.

MamaM said...

My current struggle is on a lesser scale. Do I accept the prompts the New Gmail is offering when I write emails? Their canned response suggestions were already too much when they switched me over to the new format without a choice after I had steadfastly been refusing to go there. Now I find them helpfully finishing my sentences as I write and leading my mind to words I might not have chosen on my own, with a convenient tab feature that is just too easy to use.

I am falling for these changes in the same way I began depending on Amazon Prime.

ndspinelli said...

Mama, So far I am refusing to be swayed.

Lipperman said...

If you don't want to be subjected to Amber Alerts, why not just turn them off on your phone?