Thursday, October 30, 2014

"The 50th Anniversary of NY’s Most Sensational Jewel Heist"

"With the jewels nowhere to be found, an ambitious 23-year-old Wellesley graduate, Nora Ephron, landed her first front-page story for the New York Post by sneaking into the hotel where the thieves had stayed. “These guys had committed the perfect victimless crime,” Ephron recalled in an interview in the fall of 2010. “It was delicious. No one had a clue what they had been up to, they just seemed like fabulous party boys.”


“How did I go from law-abiding citizen to a life of crime?” Kuhn says, grinning. One night a bartender took him into a backroom, where a local jewel thief was nursing a graze from a bullet. The man told Kuhn that he had just been shot by a police officer while trying to rob a coin store; he dared Kuhn to finish the job. “I climbed up the building and found the hole in the roof that Johnny had cut,” Kuhn recalls. “I went down a rope and I cleaned the place out. It was just truly a thrill.” He had been earning $100 a day with tips at the Casablanca; a few days later he claims he was handed an envelope containing $180,000. “I’ve always been adventurous,” he says. (read more)

Vanity Fair


4 comments:

bagoh20 said...

I think I would make a pretty good criminal if I could just cure my ethics problem. I mean, I'm cautious, I think things through, plan stuff out, and most importantly, I'm one lucky S.O.B. most of the time. But, I just hate thievery and dishonesty. Those two traits in people probably occupy half your time every day, most of your worries, and account for substantial extra cost to living. Everything has to be hidden, locked, passworded, pin-numbered, insured, lawered, policed, judged, juried, and imprisoned all day long every damned day. Leave my shit alone, you bastards, and get a damned job.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

If we had more of those dashing jewel thieves, the Jihadis would be getting a whole lot less of that sweet, sweet European poontang.

Unknown said...

A creative video where the band isn't playing their instruments - I likie. Someone should steal that idea.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Speaking of disreputable villains, I just learned that Benjamin Franklin was kind of an asshole.

He devised a scheme to sell his "Poor Richard's Almanac," by publishing his prediction that the guy behind the leading almanac of the day (Titan Leeds) would die within the coming year. Then Franklin went ahead and published the guy's obituary. When Leeds protested that he was very much still alive, Franklin kept it going by claiming that the protestations were the work of an imposter.

WTF?

Franklin is on the fucking $100 bill.

I thought only chickenshit bloggers pulled that kind of vortex garbage.