Thursday, July 27, 2023

You never know where someone will show up.....


I was surprised to find out that Sinead O'Conner sang the opening title song in this season of "Outlander." Every year they have a different artist sing the haunting melody that opens the romance story that has become very popular.

My wife enjoys this show and I have to admit that I like it too. It is soapy and a dumb romance, but the production design is very good, and the scenery can't be beat. The current season is quite enjoyable as it covers a period in American History that is almost never depicted in the media. It takes place in upstate New York at Fort Ticonderoga and the Battle of Saratoga. A battle that I think was decisive in the American Revolution. What is interesting is that the victory was won not by Washington but by Horatio Gates. Actually, the battle was the direct result of the actions of one of the best American Generals of the Revolutionary War. 

Benedict Arnold.

I wonder if Arnold will be depicted and if it will be fair and give him his just due for his heroism before he turned traitor. The show already pleasantly surprised me by depicting Daniel Morgan who is almost never shown in movies about the Revolution. I just really enjoy this neglect piece of history being shown on my TV.

The show has it's over the top antics so you can deal with the soapy elements to enjoy the history.

The one thing that pisses me off is the pristine uniforms of the soldiers in the show. I wish they would be more accurate but what can you do. At least they get the Mohawk costumes right for once.

It is a strange but fitting tribute that Sinead is singing the title song. 


No comments: