Monday, March 27, 2023

I still see them......in my dreams......

 Opening day is on March 30th when the Yankees meet the San Fransico Giants. Pretty ironic since the Yankees and the Giants were bitter rivals when they were both in New York City. The Yankees (then known as the Highlanders) were the upstart little team in the Polo Grounds and were scorned by the much more established and storied Giants led by the legendary John McGraw. Now they play in the regular season. Things have sure changed since I was a rabid fan.

When I think back to all the teams and players I rooted for my mind always goes back to the days of my yute. The team I really want to see? Well it is full of people you don't even remember.

First  Base: Frank Tepedino

A Brooklyn boy he came up to bigs after the great old teams were gone. He played for us for a few years and then became a New York City fireman. Served on 911. A hero in several respects.

Second Base: Horace Clarke


The real "Hands of Stone"....fuck Roberto Duran. Perhaps the worst second baseman ever to play for the Yankees. He is a true icon. In fact, these teams are always referred to as the "Horace Clarke Yankees." That's how I feel about them.


Shortstop: Gene Michael

All glove no bat I loved when he pulled the hidden ball trick. No, he wasn't a transsexual. He was just a lousy shortstop. But he was a true Yankee. Player. Coach. Manager. General Manager. He did it all. Except hit.

Third Bace: Celerino Sanchez


The original illegal immigrant he replaced the hapless Rich McKinney who made four errors in one game that I was at in Yankee staduim. Celerino came up and at least he could field even if he didn't hit that much. He was always diving in the dirt to stop balls from going to the outfield. He was the original dirty Sanchez. So to speak.

Cather. Jake Gibbs


My favorite Yankee catcher. You know what was funny about him? He was a much better football player than he was a baseball player.

More to come.



1 comment:

edutcher said...

I'll see you and raise you Duke Snider, Pee Wee Reese, Don Newcombe, Roy Campanella, Carl Furillo, Gil Hodges, Sandy Koufax, Don Zimmer, Jim Gilliam, and Jackie Robinson.