Thursday, May 5, 2022

What's my favorite charity? Bertha Williamson!


Do you know what a chucker is? Nothing to do with polo or any of that bullshit. It is a basketball player who shoots as soon as he touches the ball. He never passes even if his teammate is alone under the basket. He could be covered by three or four guys and he will still chuck it up.

One of the biggest chukkers of all time was Super John Williamson of the ABA's New York Nets. Which was hard to be since he played with Dr J when they won the ABA championship.

That's not the reason I remember him though. You see the Long Island Nets had a radio promotion in the 1970's. They would interview the star of the game and after the interview they would give $100 to the player's favorite charity. Mike DiTomasso goes to Super John "As the Gillete Star of the game Super John we are goning to donate $100 to your favorite charity. Who would that be?" "Yo you wants to know who be my favorite charity?" "Yes." "Bertha Williamson."

Bertha was Super John's wife.

So whenever anyone asks me who my favorite charity is I always reply "Bertha Williamson."

Never fails to totally confuse everyone.

No comments: