Thursday, December 9, 2021

The model of a modern major general.....err Admiral?


 So Sunday we decided to go to Michaels which is a crafting store. The wife had to pick up some supplies to make some Christmas ornaments. As usual I was wandering around pushing the cart while I wait for her to get what she needs. Not easy when there are 300 different types of ribbons.

As I am wandering around what do I find? The little shelf with the models. You remember those from when you were a kid. You would save up your money and when your Mom would take you shopping Donwtown at A&S and you would be able to pick out a model to make a home. A muscle car like a GTO or a Barracuda. A plane like a Spitfire or a German Messerschmitt. A warship like the Arizona or an aircraft carrier. A spaceship or a rocket like Apollo 11. 

Best of all are the Monsters!


Aurora Models had a full set of movie monsters. Dracula. Frankenstein. The Creature from the Black Lagoon. You would run home from the store and tear off the plastic. Take out all of the parts. Slice off the pieces with your exacto knife. You paint them up and then glue them together. Before you know it you have a monster to put on the shelf on your wall!

Man I had a great collection. Until my little sister came in and smashed them. The dirty cunt. 

You have to learn about disappointment early in this life.

I thought for a moment about buying the Titanic and making the doomed ship at my kitchen table. It seemed appropriate for what's going on these days. I decided to pass on it. Let's be optimistic this Holiday Season.

I am sure it will still be on the shelf in the New Year.

3 comments:

MamaM said...

More like a cross between the Gorton's Fisherman and the Irish Spring dude from years gone by, the one extolling his manly scent and wielding his soap knife.

Good story. Who knows what lurks unseen among the ribbons at Michaels, waiting to rip a creative hole in the hull?

edutcher said...

Not so much a hole as a sprung plate.

In any case, keep your eyes on the big picture. Something the guys in the wheelhouse didn't do.

chickelit said...

I had all those Aurora kits. My favorites were "The Forgotten Prisoner" and "The Guillotine." The Guillotine was banned shortly after issue by uppity parents. I had the Creature too which I coated in vasoline to give it a slimy feel. My grandma was shocked by my collection and was sure I'd grow up to be a mass murderer.