Monday, June 28, 2021

WLEM FM


Chrissie Hynde claims that she wrote this song for/and about a lonely fan, but I think she's fibbing; she wrote this for Ray Davies of The Kinks. Whatever, it's beautiful song and I'm glad that she gets credit for songwriting. I never saw the original Pretenders before half of them died, but I did see the second incarnation, The Pretenders, and the treat was that she was playing her hometown of Akron, Ohio. Some co-workers and I drove over from Cleveland to see them in 1984. To me, the song is about letting go of a special someone you can't have today, but maybe tomorrow or someday. 
 _____________________ 

Added: The electric version with the original band members from the good old MTV days:

 

4 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Didn't know you lived in "The Cleve."

chickelit said...

I worked as a research intern at SOHIO right after finishing my degree at UW. Moved there in Jan. 1984 for about 8 months until I moved west to Ft. Collins, CO. My parents felt sorry for me because it was Cleveland, but I loved it. That was actually the furthest east I've ever lived in the US. I used to ride my bike down to the Flats and photograph the remains of past industrial glory. Also, I found the ladies in Cleveland to be very warm and friendly.

ndspinelli said...

I've visited Cleveland a couple times. Been to the Rock n' Roll HOF twice. I like it as well. Was Kucinich mayor when you lived there?

chickelit said...

No, it was Voinovich. a Republican I think. The HOF wasn't even there yet or was just getting established. I haven't been back there since.