Sunday, June 2, 2019

Lyre, Lyre, World On Fire

Another animal sporting a lyre-tail is the neolamprologus brichardi, also know as the lyre-tailed cichlid:

Back in the day when I collected aquarium fish, that was as good as it got for grace and beauty in a tropical fish; the pink flesh, the bluish eyes and blue-fringed fins -- this fish beat all other freshwater fish on aesthetics. Note that I wrote freshwater because I never graduated to saltwater aquaria.

What's a lyre you might ask? It's an instrument which used to inspire lyrics. Here's what a lyre may have sounded like in end times at the town of Har Megiddo.

6 comments:

chickelit said...

The video somehow reminds me of a Star Trek episode. Can't put my finger on it, though.

Chip Ahoy said...

YouTube [star trek lyre] shows Spock jamming with a lyre.

The Dude said...

The liar of megadittos? Armageddon out of here!

The Dude said...

That music is quite interesting, and better than I expected it to be.

I used to make drums from things like hollow logs and skins, using old techniques combined with modern materials, such as steel rather than iron and nylon ropes rather than ropes made out of natural fibers.

I am curious how that instrument was built - the writeup said traditional but it has some laminations that would have been difficult to achieve in 1200 BC. Not sayin' I want to become a luthier, I'll leave that to Lex, but I would like to know more about how it was built.

chickelit said...

Tenuous links, Sixty.
You understand how Clarksdale past connects to the future - whether through recorded works or via living inspiration. The lyre has lost that. Not to knock the guy in the video, but in its prime, surely there were lyre virtuosos (not virtuoso liars who are all too common now); surely there was a body of work handed down among lyre experts — enough to inspire lyrics!

The Dude said...

I prefer a tentative lynx to a souped up wildcat in the top of a sweetgum tree. Thanks to Jerry Clower I can now make reference to things beyond my direct scope of experience.

They are all lyres!