Sunday, May 13, 2018

Did someone say chicken scratching?

Roy was born in Arkansas, lived in California, and spent his last years in the DC area. I never saw him play in person, neither did my brother, but one time in the basement of a guitar store in Wheaton Maryland my brother got a chance to play "Nancy", Roy's '53 Telecaster. He played a few notes, realized that he was not doing the guitar justice, and put it back on the stand. To this day my brother claims that Roy was able to achieve his singular tone just by using his fingertips.

He had a remarkable style and sound all his own. At about 4:50 in this clip he pushes the limits of musicality. It took me a while to appreciate what he did, but he kept it all in the 12 bar blues format. Drinking from a cup at 5:40 is just showing off - the crowd loved it.

He was gifted, troubled, talented, unique and ultimately gave the world a gift of amazing music. His cadenza at 7 minutes in - once again - he pulls it off. What a nut.




This morning's sunrise.

14 comments:

windbag said...

More proof that the best known and most popular musicians aren't anywhere near the best musicians.

The Dude said...

So true.

chickelit said...

Hendrix and and everyone afterwards cheated with electronic devices...

...wah!

The Dude said...

It's not cheating if you can do it and people pay you for it. That's just fuzzy logic.

If you listen to Buchanan's Hey Joe you can hear some Hendrixesque licks in there. Especially when he quotes Foxy Lady. Ha!

windbag said...

Electronic devices are fine, as long as you can make music with them.

Like Phil Keaggy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l-oAZBiTIE

Or Joe Bonamassa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4p5qWJmC0

windbag said...

Oh yeah, or Joe Walsh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W_UYsS2XN0

deborah said...

When you're thirsty, you're thirsty.

edutcher said...

I think Gloria Estefan first used the word scratching to describe the technique in her cover of "Turn the Beat Around".

XRay said...

That was nice, Sixty. A little flashy for my tastes but he can certainly tease those strings.

MamaM said...

he can certainly tease those strings.

Yes and Amen! That sure was something to see and hear, and I enjoyed the invitation to notice and appreciate some of the highlights. Unusual, very good and fun!

MamaM said...

I enjoy men who know how employ the wink, as they use it differently than women. He has perfect timing with his, along with the music.

The Dude said...

He was enjoying himself, that's for sure. And that was good to see. His was a difficult life but he sure poured himself into his music.

I hear you, XRay - for years I was not too enthusiastic about his playing - for me it was the high frequency distortion - it wore me out. Now that that part of my hearing is gone I can enjoy the heck out of his playing. He was very good at what he did but never quite broke through. There is a documentary about him out, somewhere. I watched it years ago. As I say, he was a local guy who knocked around the local circuit and everyone had heard of him and everyone in the biz had a Roy Buchanan story. Quite the character.

XRay said...

Well, Sixty, I do/did remember the name but the mists of time had shadowed his presence. That's funny about the hearing... hell, I don't even know what I'm missing then. By flashy I mean the showmanship of course... then again I supported Cassius when he was running his mouth. Thanks for bringing Roy back to our attention. I hope that makes sense.

Dad Bones said...

If Roy Buchanan was still alive he might recognize a kindred spirit in Samantha Fish. She's a young blonde who plays blues guitar and sings. I'm guessing men of all ages are going to let themselves be put under her spell.

I Put A Spell On You

Runaway