Monday, March 5, 2018

Whose that author?



I tried to think how many times I’d kneeled down on asphalt to read the signs, but I knew this was the first time I’d done it in Hulett. Located in the northeast corner of the Wyoming Black Hills, the town is best known for being the home of Devils Tower.
I looked at the macadam blend, the stones shining in the mix that was still wet from the early morning rain, and sighed. With the advent of antilock brakes, it was hard enough to properly estimate the speed of a vehicle involved in a traffic accident, never mind in the rain.
“Do you see anything?”
I nudged my hat farther back on my head and turned to look at the large Indian leaning against the door of Lola, his Baltic blue ’59 Thunderbird and my granddaughter’s namesake. “How about you come over here and take a look for yourself.”

3 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

What do they call it when Joe Biden grinds on some gal?

The Dude said...

Henry Standing Bear is the Spock of Filipino Indians - he cannot form contractions in English. He must at all times use every word and enunciate every syllable. That makes him sound authentic. Well, more authentic than Iron Eyes Cody, anyway.

Dad Bones said...

It is a beautiful day at the Red Pony, as long as Malachi is not in there. I enjoy watching Graham Greene. When he's not being evil he's funny as hell.