Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Return of the Rifleman


You all know that "The Rifleman" is one of my favorite old TV Westerns. Now I like it because Lucas McCain is always coming to town and shooting minorities and Indians and bad guys. He kills at least three or four of them every episode and nobody demands gun control. Not even the schoolmarm. How America has changed.

The plots of this half hour show are almost always the same. Something bad is happening. Maybe it is bank robbers. Or a gunfighter looking for trouble. Or rampaging Indians or Mexican criminals. The law in the form of Sheriff Micah can't handle it. So Lucas McCain takes his gun off the wall and goes to town and shoots the miscreants. No plea bargains. No protests. No Bank Robbers Lives Matters. No coddling criminals and fighting for sentence reductions. Just a couple of slugs to the gut so the scum bags could bleed out in the street.

You see the law can't handle it anymore. The Ferguson effect has blunted law enforcement and ended any realistic ability for the police to end mass shooting. Look at what happened in Vegas. Look at how long it took the cops to respond. How many TV shows have you seen where the hero cop ignores the brass and bursts in to shoot the bad guys. Well that doesn't happen anymore in real life. Now they wait for the negotiator. They wait for approval of the lawyers and the politician. Meanwhile the shooter is inside the school killing more people.

Stephen Willeford is the Rifleman. He took his AR-15 off of the wall and went out after the bad guy without a thought. He didn't even put on his shoes. He shot him and chased him off before he could shoot more babies in the head. I don't know if I could have done that. I doubt I would have been as effective as an NRA rifle instructor. It is is good to know that there are people like him still around. I bet there are a lot of good guys with guns who are going to follow his example. In the tradition of Lucas McCain.

The Rifleman lives.

17 comments:

edutcher said...

A lot of guys like Cheyenne, Bronco, Sugarfoot, Jess Harper.

They grew up with those values.

chickelit said...

Litigiousness rules the day. Many of today's alleged HR departments exist to head off payouts to employees instead of focusing of human resources. I blame the lawyers and especially DC where 1 in 12 residents are JDs. I suspect the actually number is much higher. DC and Northern VA residents recently congratulated themselves for seemingly re-embracing Deep State values.

Trooper York said...

I think we should shoot the lawyers and the judges.

We would be a lot bettor off.

chickelit said...

I've been reading Antony Beevor's "Stalingrad" about the 1942-43 siege. The level of mechanized gore and human tragedy is unimaginable today.

chickelit said...

It truly was the worst battle of the worst war in human history.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Trooper you do know he played for the Celtics at one time so how can you possibly like him?

chickelit said...

Look at the level of payouts to the families of thugs in various eastern cities -- Baltimore for example. How many cites can withstand that fiscal damage?

chickelit said...

Wasn't Obama's idea to federalize law enforcement? To essentially replace every local cop with a DC-filtered clone that "looked like America"?

chickelit said...

That could have been Erich Holder's idea.

chickelit said...

Raylan Given was a fictionalized, federalized LEO. But he was a renegade -- an outlier -- rather than a DC clone.

chickelit said...

OK, perhaps I've reached my quota of comments.

Trooper York said...

Thanks for using them on my post.

Trooper York said...

He also played for the Brooklyn Dodgers AJ.

Look the Babe started out with the Red Sox. You can't hold it against him when he realized the error of his ways.

AllenS said...

So, let me tell you about my day so far. First, my toilet seat cracked, and since I had two garbage cans full of plastic and glass, I thought I'd stop at the recycle center (which is opened M-T) then go to Menards which is across the street. The recycle gate was closed with a handwritten cardboard piece on the gate which said: Closed Nov 9. Went then to Menards, bought the toilet seat, got back to the Jeep and discovered that I had lost my keys. Retraced my steps and nothing. Luckily, I always keep an extra key in my wallet, so I was able to get home. Now I need to go to the hardware store and have another key made. Almost hate to leave home. Sad.

edutcher said...

Trooper York said...

I think we should shoot the lawyers and the judges.

In the California gold fields, there was a saying, "We never needed law until the lawyers came".

windbag said...

I think we should shoot the lawyers and the judges.

Modern day Shakespeare.

Mumpsimus said...

"It truly was the worst battle of the worst war in human history."

I'd say Verdun 1916 would be a strong contender for that honor.

There's an amusing story by Harry Turtledove, told from the viewpoint of a couple of French soldiers at Verdun, in which the biblical Apocalypse starts to take place in front of them--horsemen, plagues, earthquakes and all. They're not particularly impressed, given what they've already been through, and carry on with the battle.