Saturday, August 20, 2016

Role reversal (in advertisement)

I noticed a new ad running on television for, um, something. I guess they blew it as advertisement or else I know right off what it was for. Fail.

A family is cheerfully sitting at a restaurant booth, two children facing their parents. The dad is seen nicking a forkful of spaghetti from his wife's plate and the boy asks, "How you like your spaghetti, Mom?" She answers, "Ask your dad."

Clever, eh? She hadn't a chance to try her own meal yet, but the dad did.

Every woman I've dated, every one without exception, wants a bite of whatever I have on my plate. Just a taste. Often they have the first taste. An no male has ever done that. Not once. No male has shown the slightest interest about what I have on my plate and every female will have a bite before mine. That is my experience.

One female in particular was obsessed. She demanded a taste even though we've been to the same restaurant several times, and even though she ordered the same thing herself before. She was and probably still is an insanely compulsive taster.

Her case was so extreme it became an issue of discussion. She defended her practice. I just have to have a taste. The whole time would be ruined if refused.

"Oh man, this is good. Wanna try some?" Offered to a male, "Nah, I'm good."  (Don't mess up my buds with conflicting flavors. Or cause unnecessary regret for poor ordering decision. I suppose.) As for myself, I couldn't care less what your meal tastes like. My attention is focused on my own. Not yours.

The ad makers know this. I'm certain of that. When I see this ad I know for certain the writers purposefully reversed natural roles. Now, I'll bet you have different experience, but that is mine.

12 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

You're observations are spot on...

Trooper York said...

Very spot on.

My problem is that I am very decisive when it comes to ordering something on a menu. So much so that other people ask what I am getting and then they order the same thing. Which is kind of crazy. So sometimes I say I am going to order one thing and then order another. Which freaks them out. "Wait you said you were getting the steak and now you are getting the pork. Why did you do that?" It amazes me.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

During the Olympics - I noticed many ads saying "Thanks mom". The ads depicted mom's of athletes as super-hero. (All subtle stuff for Hillary)

What are the Dad's of athletes? Big nothing.

Trooper York said...

It is all part of our culture that denigrates men and the contribution of fathers.

It is core of feminism.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Feminist mostly don't breed, they pass on their poison like a virus

But you probably don't go out to dinner with feminists

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

The ads paint a subtle picture of men, boys, & males with a bad brush.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lem the artificially intelligent said...

My primary focus at a restaurant is not ordering something too expensive, even when I was paying.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

It's more that just feminist bullcrap. Democrat men and women who work for these big ad agencies are bashing the male on purpose. They are painting women as the stronger smarter sex - right before and election.

PBS has their "Women and girls" campaign in full swing as well. No accident.

ricpic said...

I've never asked to have a taste from another's plate, male or female; but I do admit to being jealous when the beautiful lobster bisque comes for them and a couple of insipid sardines comes for me. Stupid choice! Stupid choice!

ricpic said...

The Olympica are SO OBVIOUSLY designed for a female audience. Thirty minutes of action out of 3 1/2 hours of "human interest."

ndspinelli said...

Chip, You have superb observational skills. I would hire you.

Women like to eat food off of men's plates because when you do that there are no calories.