Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Baby's coming



I am so happy about Sunday nights this spring. Some of my favorite British “nice” TV shows are all stacked up on PBS and I have hours of interesting and soothing entertainment to DVR. I mean soothing in the sense that it is not all serial killers and severed limbs but sleepy vicarages and fancy department stores and babies! Yeah!

“Grantchester”, “Mr. Selfridge” and “Call the Midwife” are all back and all in a row on PBS. It is just about the only thing public television does that I think is worth a damn. I have been enjoying them thoroughly. The only thing is I am having a spot of bother about “Call the Midwife.” You see it is just too much like the American Election.


The first episode had those flipper babies that took that nasty drug back in the sixties. So that was pretty depressing. You want to see the happy Mum’s and bewildered Dads like the pale white dude who ended up with a baby that looked like Sidney Poitier. So it was a bit of a downer. The second episode this weekend was even worse.

You see my favorite character is being written out and leaving the show. Sister Evangelina is a tough no nonsense lower class woman who became a nun who serves the East End where she grew up. She has the common touch and has no time for the fancy foibles and fads of the rich who condescend to the common people she serves. She is brash and loud and opinionated and the “proper” types are appalled at her. But the common people love her. Because she is fighting for them. Plus she loves breasts. Well that was what the last episode was about.  Breast feeding vs bottle. Sister Evangelina is for the breast! Just like me!

You see Sister Evangelina reminds me of Donald Trump. She is a populist. Tough loud and obnoxious. Just the kind of Nun I remember when I was a kid. The kind that would bounce an eraser off of my noggin or clout me with a ruler on the knuckles. But you knew she cared about you. She wasn't a phony pious all for show Christian. You had to accept her warts and all. Sister Evangelina is Donald Trump.

Now it seems that all of the nuns on “Call the Midwife” are actually characters in this year’s election. A flirtatious girly girl obsessed with makeup and boys called Trixie. Marco Rubio. A mousy beaten down capable nun who is scared of her own shadow called Cynthia. Scott Walker. A mentally frail very religious and very confused Sister Monica Joan. Ben Carson. A rigid dogmatic know it all by the rules stiff necked prude nurse Phyllis Crane. Ted Cruz. And of course a closeted lesbian who has to hide her relationship from everyone. Hillary.


Baby’s coming.

6 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I like Better Call Saul, but you might not like it since it is all about lawyers.

I liked Billions too, but that season run just ended.

Joe Biden, America's Putin said...

I'm with you Troop. Sunday night PBS it where it's at.

ricpic said...

Is Benny Hill still alive? If so he'd make a heckuva midwife (in drag of course).

Trump fan said...

Hey I thought you were a fan of game of thrones !!

Trooper York said...

I am but I dropped HBO. It was too expensive. I dropped HBO Showtime and all the premiums. I will wait till it comes on Netflicks or free on Amazon Prime.

Amartel said...

Better Call Saul - best show on tv right now.
For fans: Breaking Bad easter eggs in BCS

Also, the titles from this season's shows may provide a clue to a encore (pre-encore?) performance:
Fifi
Rebecca
Inflatable
Nailed
Gloves Off
Switch
Bali Ha'i
Amarillo
Cobbler
Klick


**********
YAAAASSSS!