Friday, August 7, 2015

"What is a non-racist, non-sexist, and non "hateful" opinion you have that would make people dislike you?"

Top voted Reddit comments...
Serving in the military doesn’t make you a hero. That term is used far too often, in my opinion.

I am an atheist, and I say "merry christmas". It's not an affirmation of faith, just a fancy way of saying hello 3weeks out of the year. If someone was offended I would say happy holidays/happy new year to them specifically, but I don't find the phrase out of context offensive.
Both theists and atheists have expressed their dislike for me for having this differing opinion. To me it's like hating someone for not being a vegetarian, you can't help it if you don't find something offensive.

The only reason Doctor Who is still going is because the studio was smart enough to change their product from pandering to nerdy middle aged men to having a younger hip cast that appeals to teenage girls.
In fact that works for every nerdy product including super hero movies. As long as they have lots of hot man chest they will do well. 

We're making the world too controlled and safe. Especially for kids. Like yeah do what you can to make sure they don't die, but they need a bit of a rough and tumble every now and then.
Reddit will probably agree with me, so I guess the people who would get angry at me are the overprotective parents. There's a way to put boundaries on a kid that doesn't stifle them. Let the kid do what he wants. Let them climb up that tree, let them play some full contact sport. Let them FUCKING lose a game, less of this "we don't count the score" bullshit. You know what kids hate more than losing? Being made to feel like little kids. I'd rather lose after trying than have some bullshit rule that just makes me feel like I'm being patronised.
"Oh don't worry John, they might have scored 3 more goals than you but we're all winners!"
No. John is the fucking loser. Let him cry if he's a little bitch about losing. Let him realise that his little world doesn't bend to his whim. Because it sure as fuck doesn't bend to him in the real world.
I'm just sick of seeing kids being mollycoddled. They cry over nothing and then grow up to be entitled little bastards. Like Jesus Christ John, its not your fault that you're broke. No way, all you do is laze about all day and complain there's no jobs. It's definitely everyone else's fault because you're a perfect little princess.
Fuck you John.

19 comments:

edutcher said...

"Serving in the military doesn’t make you a hero. That term is used far too often, in my opinion"

Definitely.

A hero is someone who does something out of the ordinary, like Walt Ehlers, who, along with Norman Cota got men moving off Omaha Beach, but also serves as an example to others.

Serving in the military is praiseworthy in these days of volunteer service, but the way the word is used cheapens it.

Which may well be why the Lefties insist on doing it.

bagoh20 said...

"Hero" IS way overused, although it is often just metaphorical, as in "Lem, you are my hero", which is what I say everyday when I turn on my computer by kicking the captive mime I have in a yoke out back hooked up to the generator.

The real meaning of "hero" is simple. A hero is someone who takes a very real risk of serious harm to themselves to prevent harm to someone else. The risk needs to be real, and the potential harm serious. We know this is the right use of the word because if you use hero for anything less than that, then what word is appropriate for the real thing?

Oh... right, "superhero". I forgot about that one.

bagoh20 said...

I'm being metaphorical when I say it, but this lady is becoming my "hero"


http://louderwithcrowder.com/carly-fiorina-uncensored-goes-full-honey-badger-on-sjw-feminists/

Amartel said...

Back in the day there were higher standards for heroes because there were higher standards for everything. Joining the military used to be no big thing. Lots of people did it. Now, it's arguably heroic. But, okay, I get the point. If only it weren't couched in the context of taking a cheap shot at the military (which is the real point of that particular supposedly unpopular supposedly nonhateful comment). I guarantee the writer is a progressive hipster who has never served nor even considered serving and resents the attention and respect accorded those who have.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I don't know if it will make people dislike me, but Windows 10 sucks balls.

I'm sorry I upgraded.

AllenS said...

As a veteran, let me say that the word hero is used way too often, and makes me uncomfortable.

ampersand said...

I don't know if it will make people dislike me, but Windows 10 sucks balls.

What issues have you run into? I also have an opportunity to upgrade to 10. I skipped 8.


Genius, legendary and standing ovations are also way overused. And please guys, enough with the hugs.

KCFleming said...

"... opinion you have that would make people dislike you?"

I despise the term 'social justice.'

When I hear it, I have a visceral reaction, roll my eyes and mutter aloud ohferfuxsake.

KCFleming said...

I don't give a damn about my lawn.
I mow it, but that's it.
It's all creeping charlie. Don't care.

KCFleming said...

I hate the 'We just met this is crazy call me maybe song.'
Instantly change the station.

I hate every song by Rod Stewart.
Instantly change the station.

I hate NPR with the heat of a thousand suns.
Instantly change the station.

KCFleming said...

Actually, sometimes minimal eye contact is enough to make people dislike me.

KCFleming said...

Multiple posts makes people dislike me.


Oops.

bagoh20 said...

Saying "people really like me" should do it.

Trooper York said...

People hate me for my shirt.

Trooper York said...

I am too sexy for it.

KCFleming said...

That's true, Troop.
NTTAWWT.

edutcher said...

AllenS said...

As a veteran, let me say that the word hero is used way too often, and makes me uncomfortable.

The mark of a good man always seems to be, "Just doin' my job".

Dad Bones said...

When I was a little boy I drowned a few of my dad's baby chickens just to watch them die.

Leading to the opinion...

I believe that spanking little kids can help them learn not to repeat their mistakes.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

What issues have you run into?

Plenty. The most visceral one is that I have to still use Explorer because the new browser is missing blogger's compose page.

I cant make a post using the new browser like I used to with explorer.

Meantime, Explorer's speed has crashed to a crawl. Doing the tags has slowed to a crawl. It was so slow I thought maybe I been hacked. But that's not it.

So, I just hope they fix it.