Monday, November 3, 2014

Joy Cometh With The Mourning

As it's time to start thinking about gifts for our Conservative Mothers, I thought I'd share.  I haven't read this yet (my conservative mother will get a pre-read copy) but I've read other books that Dave has written and am looking forward to getting a sneak peek.  I think if you've got that Kindle thing you can read it for Free when it is released on Kindle.  If you do, leave a review.  :)






Dave Freer is one of my pretend internet author friends and exceptionally skilled writer. He recently moved from South Africa to Flinders Island, about as near the back side of beyond it's possible to manage and still be on Earth, and has written this book and is dedicating all proceeds from it to his new little parish church. Many of his books are science fiction and fantasy. He also has some literary YA books out. But THIS one is a "cozy". It's a comfortable murder mystery (a *cozy*) which he assures us that "your conservative mother will like." The heroine is a timid priest sent from the city to serve a country parish after the old priest had died.

Dave says: "I wrote this book for one simple reason (and, of course being me, several complex ones). I have given the entire income from it to my little Church on the Island. The Island is at least as nominally Christian as the US – which I see comes in 76%. (...) But in the meanwhile, Sunday to Sunday, it’s a very small group. Most of them are old. The church is important to them. They don’t have enough money to have a priest, or even to fly one in regularly to take mass. That is important to them. It’s important to me. They’ll take dawn service on ANZAC day, on Remembrance Day, and I’ll be there while I am still breathing, to pay my respects to the fallen, and honor those who served. They’ll bury me here, one day… if there is anyone left to bury me. They’ll be the ones making teas and comforting the grieving, as they do now, regardless of creed or color or background, or if you ever came to church."

6 comments:

Mumpsimus said...

The Kindle edition would be "free" only if you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited (ten bucks a month, I think). Otherwise, $3.99.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

I assume there is more packed into the term "conservative mother" than is readily apparent to me.

I have a mother-in-law who could be fairly described as closed-minded and pretentious.

She thinks of herself as conservative.

Make of that what you will.

Unknown said...

ooo thanks.

Synova said...

Ah... the "conservative mother" thing was just the phrase that the author used to assure us that while it was a murder mystery it didn't have blood and gore. (Think Jessica Fletcher or Father Dowling Mysteries.)

The phrase tickled my funny bone.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

He knows how to flatter his audience, then. Good.

deborah said...

Speaking of cozy murders, I've been making my way through Midsomer Murders. Midsomer seems to be a county in England with a very high proportion of murders. Every episode features about two to four murders. It's grown on me. The head detective is pretty cool and the acting by the suspects is stellar.